What does this behavior between these two cats mean?

nwfn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Miss Chloe, came along with me when I visited family at my aunt's house for the holidays. She's 1.5 years old, extremely playful, an alpha personality, not a lot of experience with other cats.

My aunt's cat, Willy, is a year old, pretty chilled out but still playful, can be skittish, no experience with other cats since he was a little kitten. Both are fixed, so no worries on that front.

I figured putting these two together would be a mess, so I planned to keep Miss Chloe separated from Willy for the few days that we're here. But Willy stayed parked outside the door to Miss Chloe, scratching at it, even throwing himself into it a couple of times, and Miss Chloe wanted out of that room after a couple of hours. Willy ended up darting inside, they touched noses briefly, and then he walked really slowly back and forth in front of her. She was wary of him at first, but not for long. Now he follows her around the house constantly, sometimes trilling to her. Meanwhile she goes through phases of ignoring him, running from him, or darting up to him as if attacking but then not doing anything. I shut her back in the room once in a while to give her a break when she seemed fed up with Willy's attention, and he just stayed sitting outside the door until she came out again. He even politely waits outside the room while she's eating, even with the door open.

There has been zero hissing, scratching or yowling between them as far as I've seen/heard, so I figure this intro has gone well even though it wasn't done properly. I don't have much experience with cat introductions, though. Does this behavior all seem normal/positive? Miss Chloe has such a dominant personality that I pegged her as being a one-cat-only type, so this intro has given me renewed hope for getting a second cat at some point. But on the other hand, maybe Willy is just a super chill cat. Thoughts?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like Willy really needs another cat companion, and another neutered male would probably be best.  The boys seem to stay rough and tumble longer than the girls in my experience, although brother-sister combos seem to stay bonded without too much clashing.

Miss Chloe sounds like a typical young girl and another boy might be okay with her as long as he is the submissive type, like Willy, who will sing her little love songs (trilling) but keeps a respectful distance until she invites closer contact.  If you are wanting a second cat, this might be a great time to get one.  If you have rescue groups in your area who have fosters in homes, that would be the best way to pick a boy for Chloe, as they will know the dispositions of their fosters and whether they are dominant or submissive or in between.

It sounds like this was a very valuable unplanned experience which hopefully will result in two more cats getting forever homes soon.

meganelizabeth8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is awesome that the two cats are getting along. I am jealous. My female cat is having some anger issues right now. I took her out of her environment which was a bad experience, looking back now.. but that is how my cats were when I got them. My female though is jealous. 

That is just a GREAT story!