What does the head-butt MEAN?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darkeyedgirl

Jessie, she headbutts all the other cats, trying to get affection or I guess maybe she is trying to own them? Per her scent on them???
i think so. Cable headbutts the other two, & they don't do it to her. i'm pretty sure she's top cat. Java will lift her nose for kisses, & she does that 'get under the hand' thing like dogs do when she wants 'pettins', as does Pixel. Pixel also does the 'flank rubbing' but only to me. Cable does it to everybody! Cable also has a foot fetish - when i put down the recliner, she runs over/in from wherever she is to rub on my feet. she also does this when i get out of bed.

furbabies2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just marking their territory and showin' some luv........My two babies Lenny and Vicki show this all the time........I'm glad they do:)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sunday butts everything on me that moves - and especially likes to come up to my face and butt my forehead.

IMO it is one of the sweetest things a cat can do - I LOVE head-butts and live for them from my girls.

But I wonder if it actually means anything? Is it an innate behavior that cats do to each other or is it just a sign of love especially reserved for us humans?

I would love to know because it is a universal cat behaviour but I've always been baffled by its origin.

Anyone know?
she's putting her scent on you. So when you go out into the world and another cat sniffs you, they know you belong to her.