What does outstretched paw mean?

brennie369

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat does this ALOT & I'd really love to know what it means! She'll sit on a tv stand or table, etc. that is across from me & from where I'm facing. Then she'll stretch her paw out torwards me, kind of like she's waving or trying to get my attention. Is that all it is, is trying to get my attention or os there more to it? Is this normal? I just want to know how to respond to her to help encourage her intelligence & communication attempts.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal - pretty much "reach out and touch someone" behavior which you reward with attention. Talk or play with her, groom her, etc..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brennie369

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, good. That's what I've been doing. Can't ignore her ever - especially when she's making the reach-out attempt!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brennie369

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the responses. THing is, she's not a shy cat... she's one to come up to my lap & curl up, or come "hug" me when I'm at the computer, etc. So if she wanted my attention why doesn't she come up to me & demand it like usual? hehehehe

heatherdunne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe she's too comfortable to bother getting up
She wants you to come to her.

My cat does the outstretched paw thing whenever she wants to be petted, except in her case she often also actually pokes at my face with her paw.

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy Louie will do this when he's standing up. He'll reach his paw out to say hi. My favorite though, is when he sits up on his hind legs, stretches out his paw and puts it on my cheek while he gives me a big purry kiss.

Melts my heart!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he was doing a Rick James impersonation...

What did the five toes say to the face? SLAP! *cold bloooooded*