What does my cat want?

zongo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one and a half year old cat keeps meowing and murring at me all the time, its super annoying. I assume it's because she wants to play, and I try to use string-on-a-stick toys but after less than a minute shes completely disinterested. if i throw mouse toys and the like, shes into it at first, but after a minute or two gets bored, and then she'll continue to meow. she has food and water, so that isnt it. usually she meows when she wants me to open the front door so she can look outside. though sometimes when I do that, she ends up meowing MORE and it drives me ******* insane. 

maybe i don't have the right toy? what would be a good toy for a cat like this... other than another cat, lol..

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
does she meow at a certain time of the day (IE, after meals).. or is it all day long? Did it start happening recently or ever since you got her?

I wonder if there's another cat outside that she's alerting you of (Reason why she may meow more after opening the door).

She is spayed, right?

She just maybe  a chatty cat! Some cats like to hear the sound of their own voice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zongo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any time of the day. I do agree that shes probably meowing cause shes seen a cat outside, there is a stray that roams around my apartment complex at night. but yeah, shes also very vocal, which is cute, until it gets annoying lol. yeah, shes spayed. shes meowed like that a bit in the past but it seems lately shes meowing and murrin in succession. i feel she obviously wants to play, but she acts disinterested in all her toys. 

cat1andcat2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she starts meowing then think back 1 minute to see what she was doing or were she was looking at. That could give some clues.

It could also mean she wants some attention, maybe hold her to see if that shuts her up.

Also if its just to play then try a bird on a string/pole, the ones with real feathers. I doubt she will be bored after 1 minute since its the best toy ever made! :p 

catlitterguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are loved! She likes you so much that she keeps wanting your attention. Perhaps she just wants to be pet.

Is she Siamese by any chance? Some cats (such as Siamese) are more vocal than others.

Mine meows at me just by looking at them. I hear more meows from him in a week than I do from my mom's domestic short hair cat in a month's time. 

thatonelass

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little tabby gal murrs and meows every time I look at her. Sometimes she'll meow right back at me if I talk to her, and then seem to carry on a conversation, the little weirdo. She's just happy to see me, and wants some attention, so maybe that's the same with your cat. 

There was also a cat I had growing up who would wait at an open door and meow until someone went outside with him, so maybe she just wants you to explore around with her?

zongo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do go outside with her from time to time, she loves being outside more than anything, but the area imo isn't that great to let her go out on her own. I used to live in an area that was great for it, but now I don't. so yeah, a lot of the meows are cause she wants to go outside. shes not siamese, just a tabby. when she meows I almost always try and pet her, and half the time she sees me put my hand down she'll just walk the other way (cause that wasn't what she was meowing about) but she does meow for pets, especially after I take a shower. I pet her a lot so I don't think that's a problem lol. but yeah I probably enabled her meows cause i've always meowed or responded back to her, its cute. 

zongo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a feather toy, and she was pretty into it for a week, but now shes pretty much plays with it for a minute, then lays down and just looks at it from a distance, never actually pouncing, no matter how much i jingle the bell on it, its super frustrating. its like she doesnt even want to chase the toy, just wants to look at it while i dangle it. and then if i stop dangling it, she'll realize and start freaking murring and meowing loud to annoy me. im doing it on my bed, couches, around corners. she chases it for the first minute, then she stops. and if i stop, she starts crying about it. its driving me insane