What does everyone do for a living?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

Absolutley nothing
happily retired and love every minute of it. It is like being a child again, I play on the computer, I play in the garden, I play with my cross stitch and I even occasionally play at doing some housework
I'm jealous!!

I'm a pointy-haired manager (think Dilbert cartoon) for a group of very smart people that do computer software architecture. I don't do real work, just a lot of powerpoint presentations for executives on one hand, and a lot of mentoring for the people that work for me on the other. Somehow it keeps me busy and pays the bills.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work at a kindergarden/day care. I get to take care of other peoples children. I love my job, and I love the kids. I don't really like some of the parents though, some of them are idiots.

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I work at a Vet's office as a Vet Assistant.

I did just recently become a certified EMT as well and I am still going to school to become a Paramedic.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work with mainframe computers. I was a senior computer operator, tech troubleshooter, and job controller for 13 years.

I moved to a tiny town in nebraska... The trade off was woking in a fabrication dept in a factory to small town living. There is not much employment opportunity here.

I like living in a tiny rural town. I have no traffic stress in my life anymore!

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I work in a retirement home as a practical nurse, in charge on the night shift. I look after 86 residents there 8 nights every 2 weeks. On the weekends I am a live in superintendent of a 85 unit (104 resident) seniors building. Usually I like my jobs, but there are times when I dont.
I guess I get lots of opportunities to practice my seniors moments.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am actually a prescool/kinder/PE teacher but I took a year off and now thinking aout another year since Abby is due.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work for the largest mortgage lender and 2nd largest bank in the US. I am a senior credit manager. Mostly, I help people refinance their homes, restructure their debt, provide small loans, etc. I am very proud of the company that I work for, because with all of the terrible stuff that is happening in the mortgage industry, we are a company that has always done things the right way. My day is made when I get a call or letter from someone thanking me for helping them! I think the fact that we are salaried employees and not commission driven is one reason we always "do what is best for the customer"! I love my job - and I love having weekends off!

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a medical transcriptionist. In other words, I type all the reports that go into your medical records.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After working 20 year for the countries largest captive auto finance company I got downsized. Last year I started my own landscaping company. I have both residential and commercial clients. I don't do turf or hardscaping. My goals are to provide organic plant care and to teach customers the correct way to maintain their landscapes. I also grow produce (organically though not certified organic) for a few customers. This year I would like to provide container plantings for customers to rent for parties, weddings, etc...

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sell antiques on E-bay. It's nice. I get to stay home and go at my own pace. My husband provides for us. I just make a little extra money when we need it.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see....
What do I do for a living that I get paid for? or that I do for free?

I get paid to be an electrical engineer, but I don't get paid to be a soccer board member, furball foster mom, "skin" mom, shelter committe member.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work at a local factory that produces pet shampoos, sprays, lotions, milk replacer, etc...

My job is to print the bottles that the product goes in and to supervise employees. Though I don't know why. They took my only employee so now I'm a supervisor of no one.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm an MR/CT technologist. I've been doing this for over 20 years. I love technology and it has changed so much in these years, it just keeps getting better. I like working with people. The difficult patients are a challenge and can be as interesting to figure out as much as the technical side of the work. Co-workers can be just as challenging and fun.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is a great thread. I love how everyone does such diverse things.

Originally Posted by SophieC

I am an electrical & instrumentation designer/drafter for the largest privately owned engineering firm in Louisiana. While the firm has an architecture department and a land surverying department, the largest department is engineering. We do oil & gas work.....production platforms offshore in the Gulf of Mexico as well as plants and refineries onshore. Basically, I do a lot of drawing of panels and wiring diagrams in AutoCAD.
Well at least to the AutoCAD thing.

I work in the design/engineering department for a small furniture manufacturer. My main job is to produce drawings (yay AutoCAD!) of every single component for a new piece of furniture so it can go through the plant and get produced. The bad side to that is I often have people come in and yell at me if my drawings are 0.5mm or 1mm out....
I also maintain a database of every material used for each unit so our Purchaser can supply enough material.

I am also "random job girl" which means I do everything from supervising photo shoots (fun!) to organizing and propping our showroom (also fun) to data entry, cleaning and filing (not so fun). The great thing about my job is the variety and experience it gives me, especially as this is my first job since graduating from University. I don't like that my job is very technical and involves a lot of machine knowledge (which I don't have and don't enjoy learning) and I don't like that at this point I feel I've advanced as far as I can in mycurrent position.