What Documents Do You Need When Flying With Your Cat?

yeet cookie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! My Dad and I are planning to leave for another RV trip next Friday the 14th and as usual I will be bringing Cookie (Cookie loves seeing new environments). We will be leaving from San Diego and ending up in Minnesota, exploring as we go of course. However instead of driving back to SD we will be leaving the RV in a storage unit and flying back on the 23rd (Aiming for a United Airlines flight, we haven't bought tickets or anything). This is a method my Dad uses so that we can explore more places without constantly having to start from home. Anyways, I don't want to leave Cookie at home since I don't trust anyone enough to take good care of her, plus she's my partner in crime and I would be miserable without her, as would she. This would be Cookie's first time flying and I've done a bit of research regarding the requirements/restrictions and such (I know it can be different for each airline, I mainly focused on United since we normally fly that airline). I am aware that a health certificate is for sure required if you are traveling internationally, however I did not find anything specific about what documents I would need if I am traveling inside the United States. I called United and the lady on the phone said I wouldn't need anything, I would only need to pay the in-cabin fee of $125 (I could never transport her as cargo, I've heard terrible stories and either way I'd prefer having her close to me). I'm planning to schedule a vet appointment tomorrow so I can receive a health certificate just in case (because if they ask for any documents while I'm in Minnesota I'm screwed). My main question is what documents have you guys needed to provide for your cat when traveling inside the U.S.? It can be any airline, just share your experience. Also, if you have any flying tips or facts that you think would be helpful to me, share it! I would greatly appreciate it!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I've flown frequently taking my cats to shows and have never been asked for any documentation. If it makes you more comfortable you could have the rabies record available.

Be sure you have a carrier that fits under the seat. I prefer a soft carrier because you can get a slightly bigger one and squish it down. Keep it out ahead of time so Cookie gets comfortable with it.

You'll need to have a window or middle seat. The space under the aisle seat on most planes is too narrow, just the way the metal framework under the seats is arranged.

Enjoy your trip, and we want to see pictures of Cookies adventures.:camera:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think inside the US is not a problem, they get more strict with quarantine, needing a vet to sign paperwork on international travel, especially when entering the EU.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Call the airline and ask specifically. Southwest used to require no paperwork at all. I suggest you travel with a complete medical record of your pet.
Get her used to a harness if she's not. It's much safer as you'll likely be asked to take her out of the carrier so they can check it. Keep an unused no needle syringe in the side pocket of your soft carrier. If you get stuck on the runway you can use it to give your cat some water.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I would travel with everything I would need to board my cat at a kennel. The idea being that if I ended up in the hospital in an emergency I would already have everything to make sure my cat was safe. It would also cover any requirements random hotels or any airline might have. The kennel I already have planned for here in an emergency requires: rabies, FVRCP, proof of exam in last year, proof of fecal in last year, current flea treatment application.

And yes, I already know what kennel I would take my cats too if something happened and I had to leave them in an emergency (assuming my vet wasn't available for some reason or it was longer than a week). I also have a carrier per cat, keep at least 10 pounds of food on hand at all times, and am shopping around for a collapsible kennel large enough to set up an outside enclosure for them in an emergency.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would travel with everything I would need to board my cat at a kennel. The idea being that if I ended up in the hospital in an emergency I would already have everything to make sure my cat was safe. It would also cover any requirements random hotels or any airline might have. The kennel I already have planned for here in an emergency requires: rabies, FVRCP, proof of exam in last year, proof of fecal in last year, current flea treatment application.

And yes, I already know what kennel I would take my cats too if something happened and I had to leave them in an emergency (assuming my vet wasn't available for some reason or it was longer than a week). I also have a carrier per cat, keep at least 10 pounds of food on hand at all times, and am shopping around for a collapsible kennel large enough to set up an outside enclosure for them in an emergency.
I was going to sell Frog and Toads wire kennel but have it folded and stashed. You never know what you're going to run into traveling so having complete paperwork is always a good idea.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With all the bad press about United Airlines lately (the April incident with the doctor, this recent one where a child's paid seat was given to a standby passenger and the child had to sit on Mom's lap for the entire flight which is against United's own policy , etc), it's worth looking into other airlines.

Some cats are able to get out of a soft sided carrier so be aware of that. Some cats just paw at the zipper from the inside, others just manage to scratch a hole in the mesh or the seam between the zipper and carrier side. A plastic carrier that fits under the seat would be a better option for escape artists. Whichever one you use, line the inside with a towel and a puppy pad to contain any messes.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
With all the bad press about United Airlines lately (the April incident with the doctor, this recent one where a child's paid seat was given to a standby passenger and the child had to sit on Mom's lap for the entire flight which is against United's own policy , etc), it's worth looking into other airlines.

Some cats are able to get out of a soft sided carrier so be aware of that. Some cats just paw at the zipper from the inside, others just manage to scratch a hole in the mesh or the seam between the zipper and carrier side. A plastic carrier that fits under the seat would be a better option for escape artists. Whichever one you use, line the inside with a towel and a puppy pad to contain any messes.
Southwest was wonderful
you can buy a hard case carrier they usually have a recommend on the airline site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeet cookie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your replies! These will definitely come in handy and make our first flight a bit less stressful. I was just told by my dad we're now switching to American Airlines, most likely because of price. I heard Delta and Southwest are great for pets, however I think AA is our only option unfortunately :cringe:. Also, how would you handle the bathroom situation? Hard to make a cat go to the bathroom on command before we leave to the airport. She doesn't go that often, which is normal, so I think she'll be fine as long as she goes before we leave and I don't feed her too much. But it is a 6-8 hour flight (Again, don't know exactly and still need to buy tickets) and I'd hate for her to be uncomfortable and have to hold it in.

yeet cookie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

How do you get food past the TSA? Water I know I can get after security but how do I bring cat food?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if it was anything like travelling by car for three days, the cats didn't really eat anything during the day until we got to the hotels and let them loose. The only one that had any accident in the carrier was Tom and it was during the first hour and a half of the trip because he got his nerves worked up. I wonder if you would be able to get the carrier out and take them with you to the wash room to try to clean anything up if that were to happen. Your cat may not want to eat because of the stimulation and uncertainty of the new environment. When we were traveling I made sure they were UTD on vaccinations and had proof of them in the car. When my parents took my dog with them back to Iowa, took her to the vet and got her shots UTD and had them issue a health certificate for no fuss in case anything came up. They were driving as well.

yeet cookie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well if it was anything like travelling by car for three days, the cats didn't really eat anything during the day until we got to the hotels and let them loose. The only one that had any accident in the carrier was Tom and it was during the first hour and a half of the trip because he got his nerves worked up. I wonder if you would be able to get the carrier out and take them with you to the wash room to try to clean anything up if that were to happen. Your cat may not want to eat because of the stimulation and uncertainty of the new environment. When we were traveling I made sure they were UTD on vaccinations and had proof of them in the car. When my parents took my dog with them back to Iowa, took her to the vet and got her shots UTD and had them issue a health certificate for no fuss in case anything came up. They were driving as well.
Yeah Cookie isn't really one to eat in a new and strange environment.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How do you get food past the TSA? Water I know I can get after security but how do I bring cat food?
You should be able to carry a sandwich bag amount in your carry on. Bring another snack baggie size just in case they say the sandwich bag is too big. I would buy enough for your trip when you land though instead of taking up luggage space for a larger amount.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think you should be able to put wet food in the checked baggage- only dry food in carry on.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your replies! These will definitely come in handy and make our first flight a bit less stressful. I was just told by my dad we're now switching to American Airlines, most likely because of price. I heard Delta and Southwest are great for pets, however I think AA is our only option unfortunately :cringe:. Also, how would you handle the bathroom situation? Hard to make a cat go to the bathroom on command before we leave to the airport. She doesn't go that often, which is normal, so I think she'll be fine as long as she goes before we leave and I don't feed her too much. But it is a 6-8 hour flight (Again, don't know exactly and still need to buy tickets) and I'd hate for her to be uncomfortable and have to hold it in.
Absorbent bedding and a layer of puppy pads. Most likely she'll hold just because she's stressed. Mine came home and went to the litterbox. I didn't withhold food or water prior to going.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats won't eat or drink or pee under extreme stress. I'd still keep a small baggie of dry food and a small bottle of water (can you bring that on the plane?) in your carry on luggage just in case. And a small bowl or foldable one to use.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats won't eat or drink or pee under extreme stress. I'd still keep a small baggie of dry food and a small bottle of water (can you bring that on the plane?) in your carry on luggage just in case. And a small bowl or foldable one to use.
you can buy a bottle of water after you are properly violated by TSA and past the check point.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Kibble in any amount shouldn't be an issue for the TSA, but I doubt your cat will have any interest in eating. Be sure you call the airline in advance of your flight to declare your pet and pay the pet fee. Be sure to bring some baby wipes in case you need to deal with poo or puke on the cat or in the carrier.

yeet cookie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baby wipes would definitely be a great idea, and I'll bring food and for sure water just in case. Also, have any of you flown with a persian cat? I know some airlines restrict persians because of their short skulls, but it only applies to those flying in cargo. I'm planning on taking Cookie to the vet to make sure she's fit for travel, but have any of you ran into trouble health wise? When Cookie and I ride in the RV shes normally nauseous for a bit (her nose turns red) then she's fine. She doesn't have asthma and I've never seen her have any breathing problems.