What do you think this is used for?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh nice! It looks super cute and less like it will summon something from below.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, I wish I had something mysterious to share with you all. The best I can do is this picture of a jaw bone.

Bone1.jpg

The real mystery is how did it get in their enclosure. Did they all sneak out one night, gang up on a deer and drag it back over the fence to devour? Did the deer jump in and surrender to them? What else is buried out back?

:eek2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, I wish I had something mysterious to share with you all. The best I can do is this picture of a jaw bone.

View attachment 321204
The real mystery is how did it get in their enclosure. Did they all sneak out one night, gang up on a deer and drag it back over the fence to devour? Did the deer jump in and surrender to them? What else is buried out back?

:eek2:
Is that Happy's head? You see, she seems like such a sweet, unassuming cat, but I believe she is the deer-hunting ring-leader. As my my mother always used to say 'Still waters run deep'... :cool:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
OK.. here's another 'thing'.
I bought it at a market many years ago and even submitted it to an antique 'what is this' site that our local TV station was running to no avail, although someone thought it was a hand-made damper camp oven.. from the Depression era when people lived in camps.. but no handles? It's about 8 1/2 inches across and relatively shallow.
It has a really heavy base, and the sides are slit to allow the brass to curve.

Any ideas?

thing.jpg

thing 3.jpg

thing 2.jpg

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought it at a market many years ago and even submitted it to an antique 'what is this' site that our local TV station was running to no avail, although someone thought it was a hand-made damper camp oven.. from the Depression era when people lived in camps.. but no handles? It's about 8 1/2 inches across and relatively shallow.

Any ideas?

View attachment 321229

View attachment 321230

View attachment 321231
Could it be an antique tortilla warmer?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It kinds looks like a bed warmer, but those have long handles. Also I'm not sure if a bed warmer was necessary in Australia (they're pretty common in antique stores around here though).

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
That's actually something to think about, especially if it was a hand-made one.. makes sense. And yes, as an ex-Tasmanian I can say we definitely would have used bedwarmers down here.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
but I believe she is the deer-hunting ring-leader
There's no doubt in my mind about that. She may be tiny and toothless, but she has all the other cats under her control. She's usually the instigator of any chaos around here.

Any ideas?
No idea, but I'm sure if you clobbered anyone with that it would hurt a lot more than a kick from "The Hoof" would.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, me too.. it all looks quite 'professionally made' except for that. :headscratch:
It almost looks like it used to be a tall "soup pot", and someone with some ingenuity cut the sides down, slit them, and then created the "ring" around the top. Maybe it was made by this person to be used as a tortilla warmer, considering they are hard to come by.

It also looks like the extra layer of metal at the bottom may not part of the original pot.

You can see some of the spot welding on the pot but not necessarily on the lid, which makes me think this is an altered pot.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yogi looks like he belongs there! Definitely better than holding a tooth brush!
My BIL bought this in Brazil and gave it to my husband as a gift one year for his birthday. :freak: We assume it is some type of flask and when we asked him he said he didn't know, he just thought it was cool. o_O
That is...different. My BFF has been to Brazil a few times. Maybe shes seen one before. It looks like it would hold oil or something. I know I've heard of horns from rams being used as oil holders. Oil they use to protect the sheep from flies or something like that.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
It almost looks like it used to be a tall "soup pot", and someone with some ingenuity cut the sides down, slit them, and then created the "ring" around the top. Maybe it was made by this person to be used as a tortilla warmer, considering they are hard to come by.

It also looks like the extra layer of metal at the bottom may not part of the original pot.

You can see some of the spot welding on the pot but not necessarily on the lid, which makes me think this is an altered pot.
Yes, I like the idea of an altered pot as parts of it look really well made and other bits are just weird, like the side slits.
It wouldn't be a tortilla warmer though.. it's just not something anyone would think of in Australia, even now.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Any ideas?

View attachment 321229

View attachment 321230

View attachment 321231
There's a group on Reddit that will be able to tell you what it is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...isthisthing/&usg=AOvVaw1MWWBrFD_u_HChBUs9kDLX