What do you think of Orijen?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can only tell you that Bijou and Mika both love the T/D. In fact Bijou will eat all the T/D first before the Orijen and Acana. I know it isn't the healthiest food, but it does seem to be helping his teeth so I just add about 8-10 pieces to his regular food.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'll give that a shot - mine were just pawing the T/D aside. At this point, the vet just wanted to give it a try as treats, rather than a full diet, to help with tartar (mine are slow to develop it, but still....) and the office was nice enough to give me a sample before purchasing a bag.

I just wish I could manage to brush their teeth! Even the vets look at me and say, try, but, sort of laugh at the same time. That's the only thing I'd really like about having cats from kittens - you could gradually introduce them to the 'icky' parts of life....mine were adults when adopted, and tooth-brushing is definitely nothing they want to deal with!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Thanks! I'll give that a shot - mine were just pawing the T/D aside. At this point, the vet just wanted to give it a try as treats, rather than a full diet, to help with tartar (mine are slow to develop it, but still....) and the office was nice enough to give me a sample before purchasing a bag.

I just wish I could manage to brush their teeth! Even the vets look at me and say, try, but, sort of laugh at the same time. That's the only thing I'd really like about having cats from kittens - you could gradually introduce them to the 'icky' parts of life....mine were adults when adopted, and tooth-brushing is definitely nothing they want to deal with!
Bijou doesn't like his teeth brushed either but even if I can get a couple "swipes" in I feel better. The good thing is he likes the toothpaste and I've heard that even getting some of that in his mouth and around his teeth will help. I know his breath is certainly a lot better than it used to be, thank goodness, because he likes to lick my eyelids and nose before he settles down to sleep.

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always toss several Feline Greenie's on top of Kitty's bowl when I fill it to help her teeth. She won't eat them like treats if I just give them to her. But when I put them on her food, she always eats them before any of the kibble, so she obviously does like them.
I have no idea if it is better or worse than T/D, but no prescrip required, so it works out better for us.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I actually mix Orijen and Acana together in a container and feed Bijou that mixture. I put a few pieces of T/D on top to try to help his teeth and it seems to be working.
Yes, that is what I plan to do... I need to feed him fish exclusively until July, as part of ruling out his allergies, but already ordered Orijen Grasslands (lamb based, no chicken!!
) to mix with Orijen 6-Fish. Because Orijen 6-fish is made with fresh caught fish, sometimes they run out of it, and I don't want to be caught without a second choice... I ordered Acana online, and if the kitties like it, I will tell my local retailer to get some with her next Orijen order. I am excited, since Acana is cheaper, and has a bit less protein that Orijen, just to be on the safe side with Bugsy.
I wanted to do the mix you are doing, with Hill T/D, but unfortunately Bugsy doesn't tolerate chicken...

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Bijou doesn't like his teeth brushed either but even if I can get a couple "swipes" in I feel better. The good thing is he likes the toothpaste and I've heard that even getting some of that in his mouth and around his teeth will help. I know his breath is certainly a lot better than it used to be, thank goodness, because he likes to lick my eyelids and nose before he settles down to sleep.
Getting back to the original topic.....did anyone figure out why a Vet doesn't feel that Orijen is good for a male cat?

I feed Orijen as my cats dry food, they also get wet, but two of my cats are 1-yr old males.