What Do You Think Of My Username?

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought it was very creative!

Besides, if people don't like your username, it's their problem. After all, it isn't THEIR username, now is it? :p

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I thought I'd do this as an anonymous poll. I've used "SwampWitch" for a long time, but once in a while I get a negative vibe from someone about it. What were your first impressions when you saw the name and/or what do you think of it now?

I've been considering a different username for new forums I join.

Thanks in advance!
I was drawn to it right away... your name (suggesting pagan beliefs) along with your FF pics and lines made me think that you were probably someone I could get along well with.

I've also been trying to find a new UN to use because I feel I've outgrown mine... I've had it for over 10 years and it's not me any more but I'm not creative enough to come up with another one I really like.

Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I was drawn to your name and hinted to me that you were possibly pagan. perhaps that's why you get a negative vibe from it since were not always liked in certain circles. But I do not believe you should alter it to fit in. Be yourself.

Originally Posted by Dragoriana

We should have a pagan thread
Wouldn't that be nice... if we could keep it from us having to defend our beliefs which happens very often when pagan is mentioned. So many people have huge misconception about what it really means.

Originally Posted by Callista

Reminds me of Shrek.

Re. "Pagan"--I'm a Christian, and I know some of my fellow Christians are literally scared of pagans. Personally (along with most other Christians) I don't agree with, but respect, that particular religion. I actually studied it for a while--though it seems so flexible that one person's doctrine differs widely from any other person's. (Maybe that's what makes it attractive? Still... [preach]You have to believe something that's true, or it won't do any good...[/preach])
Not to stir the pot but why did you put the word pagan in quotes?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love your name! To be perfectly honest, the first image that came to my mind was of Marie Laveau
I too thought you were in the South. I know next to nothing about FF so that never occured to me.

It is a great name - this coming from someone whose user name is about as creative as a cardboard box

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw this thread.

It's fun to see how many Pagans there are in the Group.

I am Pagan as well, as is my mother I was infact picked on in school way back in the day before Pagan was really more common place. Not that it really is now, but more people talk about it. (*back in the day... I talk as if I'm old... I'm only 29, but they'd still talk about religion in school when I was in elementary school and middle school at that time, had I ever encountered any other Pagans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again!

The real reason I asked the question was not because of this forum, but of a parenting one, where evidently a lot of the moms are Christian. There was definitely some coldness from some of the people, and I wasn't sure if it was all from my posts. Anyway, I no longer go there but just wanted a reality check and I trust you guys.

About the name... I'm from Texas where there are swamps, not as many as in the Deep South, but even the scuba divers in Austin are called the Swamp Divers. We now live in Victoria, Canada, and funnily enough we live on land that was orginally a swamp. We are near the Empress Hotel which is known to be built on swampland.

I was a Witch during the time I got the nickname. I am no longer a practicing Witch and don't consider myself a Pagan, for reasons I won't go into here. If you are interested in the whole story, just send me a PM and a gift and I'll tell you. (I'm kidding about the gift.)

BUT, I never put the two words together until about 15 years ago, when a group of friends and I were watching a Kids In the Hall (Canadian Comedy Troupe) skit about "Mississippi Gary and Kathy With a K." The skit is about their breakup, and at the end they are calling each other names. (Rent it if you get a chance.) Unfortunately, the skit is no longer on uTube but here is part of the transcript:

Kathy: I mean, he's a fun date... but he's no life partner. There are other fish in the sea... and some of them aren't DRUNK!

Mississippi Gary: [playing harmonica then stopping] I know 100 women like her, with those dew-drop eyeglasses, you know, drive me crazy.

Kathy: Child!

Mississippi Gary: Heart-breaker!

Kathy: Ill-mannered!

Mississippi Gary: Love-taker!

Kathy: Irresponsible!

Mississippi Gary: Swamp witch!

Kathy: I want the money you owe me back!

Mississippi Gary: You know, I thought I left her kind back in the bayou...

I'm not entirely sure why, but my friends gave me the nickname. From then on, I used it as my username. I like SwampWitch more than my real name.
I like that fact that it isn't "pretty." And since it doesn't give most people immediate negative images, I am very happy to continue using it!

I'd better go, time to get back into the sludge and shave my mossy armpits.

p.s. To answer the question if I am good or evil, the answer is yes. Thanks again to everyone who answered!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'd better go, time to get back into the sludge and shave my mossy armpits.

p.s. To answer the question if I am good or evil, the answer is yes. Thanks again to everyone who answered!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi again!

The real reason I asked the question was not because of this forum, but of a parenting one,
I've been on both ends of the spectrum...

I was a child who lived as a Pagan & I am a Mother who is now a Pagan with 4 small children & I will do the same as my Mother did.

She informed me of her practices and of what she Believed in and that she was Pagan and what that meant etc. Then she went on to inform me of various other religons that are out there, and left it up to me to choose what I felt was right for me.

I will do the same for my children.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's fine. Did some people get a negative vibe from it because of the "witch" part? I, for one, have no problem with that (I even like the 'witchy woman' herself, Stevie Nicks!).

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like it just fine. I'll admit to a degree of curiosity, which has now been satisfied, but never any negativity.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you think of the feedback? Going to keep your username?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I think it's fine. Did some people get a negative vibe from it because of the "witch" part?...
That's my guess. Or maybe the swamp part, I don't know. I like both things so it's hard to look at it objectively.

Originally Posted by cococat

What do you think of the feedback? Going to keep your username?
Feedback was very encouraging! I wouldn't have changed it here, but on future parenting forums I might have used something else. Maybe KidsAreKrap. Would that be a good one?
JK!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

BUT, I never put the two words together until about 15 years ago, when a group of friends and I were watching a Kids In the Hall (Canadian Comedy Troupe) skit about "Mississippi Gary and Kathy With a K." The skit is about their breakup, and at the end they are calling each other names. (Rent it if you get a chance.) Unfortunately, the skit is no longer on uTube but here is part of the transcript:
Heh, heh. I love Kids in the Hall.

As for the other parents...Well, geez, if an username bugs them do you really want to hang out with them?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think SwampWitch is an interesting username. I didn't get any negative vibes from it. When I first came to TCS, I confused SalemWitchChild with SwampWitch for a while, but it didn't take too long to recognize the different people behind the usernames. If you like it and identify with it, don't change it. At one time I thought about phasing out Pookie-poo....but I've used this username since I first got a computer in the mid '90's, so I completely identify with it. Actually, people who I've met on-line through my CRF sites and exchanged phone numbers with....they call me 'Pook' or 'Pookie' instead of Kelli! Besides, it keeps me close to my soul-mate kitty, Spooky, who died 7 1/2 years ago.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, when you first joined..the username triggered a negative effect in me. I guess because a witch in a swamp would be scary
But I didn't dislike you or anything because of it.

But after you posted a bit, I liked you and now the name is fine

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
From the name, I assumed you were a Wiccan. I don't think it triggered a negative feeling with me, but I just get this mental picture of a murky swamp, and tried to reconcile that with a lovely lady! Swamps just don't appeal to me, I guess!
I've always enjoyed your posts, and it's certainly an unique username; far more original than "MargeCat" (I have a cat named Marge, who was laying near the pc when I signed up).

I've known a few pagans, and have read a lot about Wicca (even own a few books), but am Judeo-Christian in beliefs; but always say that many of our religious beliefs had Pagan origins (Easter eggs, etc. spring to mind). I've always thought that Christianity has gotten away from celebrating the miracles of nature--in my opinion, God created all of this beauty for us to savor and respect, and many of us, myself included, don't spend enough time worshipping (for lack of a better term) it. I always celebrate, in some small way, the change of the seasons, with food and decorating (we're coming up to my fave, Fall, soon!!!
). (For example, you won't find any Winter stuff around the house after Feb. 1st. Wish my Mom would do this--she has had this Gawd-awful Fall fake flower arrangement, since about 1986, in her living room, and won't put it away!)