What do you supplement with for a young kitten?

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figured there was already a thread on this but didn't easily find it. If someone has one saved a link is good. [emoji]128570[/emoji]

TLDR: What do you use to give raw food an appropriately high fat content for a growing kitten?

My 5 year and 1 year cat eat mostly raw (raw meal morning and night) with one small Royal Canin dry snack during the day.

I just got a new kitten, and she was eating only Royal Canin kitten dry food according to mommy's human. So I got her that, set it where only she could get to it 24/7, and figured I'd give her a raw snack when the guys got their usual meals and transition her to what the others eat as she grows. She however barely touched her kibbles, but was crazy about the two raw meals I've given her (last night and this morning), so it looks like she's going to go mostly raw immediately. I know kittens need a higher fat content than adult cats, but I'm not sure what to add. I'm still leaving kibble out for her if she wants it, but I'm not sure with how little interest she's taken if her hunger instincts are enough to keep her eating as much as she needs if she likes the raw better.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your kitten?

What exactly are you feeding your adults? It's possible that whatever you feed them could be appropriate for the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the response.

The kitten is 9 weeks. I feed a commercial raw which comes in a variety of flavors with slightly varying compositions, most around 12% fat, whereas the dry kitten food is 18% fat.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the commercial food says it is suitable for all life stages, and many of them do, then it is fine for your kitten.  If it doesn't I would just look for one that does.

And btw, kittens don't actually need a diet higher in fat than adults. It's just that kittens burn a lot of calories and so feeding a higher fat food can make it easier to keep them satisfied without them having to eat a ton.

Last edited: