What do you put in your spaghetti sauce???

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

This is what i do, except i dont usually put tomato paste or water.

I will get a box of fresh tomatoes, boil them for a minute and put it in this tomato grinder thing (have no idea what its called but every italian household has it!) and there you go, you have a fresh home made Tomato sauce!
A juicer? That's what I use, because we always have so many tomatoes thanks to the greenhouse. If I'm using fresh tomatoes, I put them in boiling water for about a minute, and just "slip" the skin off (particularly effective with Roma tomatoes, which are virtually seedless) and dump them in a pot, but most of them get "juiced" and "canned" (actually jarred), so that we have a supply for the winter months.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

This is what i do, except i dont usually put tomato paste or water.

I will get a box of fresh tomatoes, boil them for a minute and put it in this tomato grinder thing (have no idea what its called but every italian household has it!) and there you go, you have a fresh home made Tomato sauce!
Yes, I know what you mean...my gram and aunt had one, I have one too. I call it a food mill?? It hand cranks has these large blades that take out the seeds and take the skins off

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Yes, I know what you mean...my gram and aunt had one, I have one too. I call it a food mill?? It hand cranks has these large blades that take out the seeds and take the skins off
Isn't that a "juicer"? Mine is electric, but isn't at all like my food processor.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't know why I didn't think of this when we were doing Cattitude II...

1/4 c olive oil (or any good quality oil)
2-1/2 to 3 c finely chopped vegetables - a roughly equal combination of onion, green or red pepper, celery, carrot - let what's on hand be your guide

2 cloves garlic, pressed (optional)

28 oz can whole Italian style tomatoes, broken into large chunks
6 oz can tomato paste
salt, pepper and cayenne, to taste

For serving:
crushed chili peppers
parmesan or romano cheese

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Saute vegetables and garlic 10 minutes or so over medium heat, until lightly browned. Add tomatoes and tomato paste, salt and freshly ground pepper, and cayenne to taste. Mix well, simmer over low heat uncovered for about an hour - until thickened.

Serve over your choice of pasta (we prefer spaghettini). Garnish with crushed chili peppers to taste and sprinkle with cheese. Makes 4-6 servings.

Despite the fact that I love my meat, I have never felt a need to add meat to this. One day, maybe...but then why mess with a good thing?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a great thread!!

DH and I are making spaghetti as I type this

For the sauce I use lean ground turkey, onions, peppers (yellow is my fav) BBQ sauce (hickory), tabasco sauce, broccoli, mushrooms and a can of Ragu sauce....it is delish!!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Isn't that a "juicer"? Mine is electric, but isn't at all like my food processor.
Not to me...to me, an old fashioned juicer is one where you put the cut half of the orange down and twist it, or an electric that does it for you.

Let me see if I can find a photo image to link to!

Here is a link to a photo and description (mine is an older version):
http://www.kitchenkapers.com/4603.html

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never made my own sauce
I just get the stuff in a jar
My fave is Prego mushroom, maybe one day I will have to try to make homemade

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My "Irish" spagehtti sauce (so-called because it's derived from my Dad's)

1 lb ground beef
1 lb hot sausage out of the casing
2 large cans plum tomatoes
2 cans tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
red wine (usually Merlot)
dried basil, oregano, sage and hot pepper to taste

I brown the meats, and add everything together and simmer for two hours.