What do you look for in a true friend?

tiggeytoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend is someone who loves you....not BECAUSE, but ALTHOUGH.

G

ghostuser

Well I have had friends off and on all my life. None that I could say were best friend, but friends just the same. But like everthing else in life, people you are friends with sometimes changes. Just as we change. The internet...well I have been on the net for ages and it was just last year that I met someone who I KNOW will be my best friend for life. Yep, I guess all you guys/gals that have been on the forum for awhile know who I am speaking of.
Now I can truely say that I have a BEST friend! Even though we don't get to see each other often our love and friendship grows. And I would like to say, Thank You Wayne for being that friend and much more!

Meme

rene

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A friend is someone who accepts you and you accept even though you disagree on things. Someone who will listen, come over or invite you over when you are down or do something they really don't want to do just because they know you want them to. And most important a friend in loyal. Even if you are mad at them or they are mad at you, you stand by your friend.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew a gal once that I met over the Internet and we found out we were only a short distance from each other, so we decided to meet. At first, everything was great, we had so much in common and our love of animals cemented it all together. We started spending a lot of time together on weekends going riding and stuff. But as time went on I noticed that the friendship was very one-sided. In other words, if I did everything this person wanted to do, then the friendship went swimmingly, but the minute I showed an ounce of independence, she got upset and would start belittling me and telling me that I really didn't know what I was talking about and she would ramrod over the top of me. It took awhile to wise up, I found out later that the term for her was Controller and finally, one afternoon I broke it off with her once and for all. She was totally floored and couldn't believe that I did this, but once I walked away, it was so liberating.

I know that probably a lot of people on this board have run into this type of person or even worse, and one thing it taught me was to really value the true friends, the ones who accept me for who and what I am and do not ask me to conform to what they believe a friend to them should be. She really hurt me in the long run but I am grateful for that hurt because it allows me to treasure true friendship so much more. She is the type of person who can only have one friend at a time and for that, I feel truly sorry for her, it really limits her world.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a chance to speak to a couple of my close friends from home today, so I'm still feeling the glow that comes from talking to the really special people in your life.

I was thinking about this topic after I hung up with them, and what made me cherish them so much. No matter how low I feel when I talk to them, they never fail to make me feel better. They don't judge me, they don't tell me how I f'ed up, they don't do anything but prop me up, and make me laugh, and appreciate what I have. I've never hung up with any of my friends feeling worse than I did before I called, or even just as bad. A friend should bring out the best in you. Bring out your own kindness and your own humility. But that's just my opinion.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend is a friend because of what they are to you, and vice versa, not what they do for you.

Plain and simple.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hissy, AP and Deb25....your thoughts on true friendship are right on the money. I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!