What do you like to cook or eat on hot days?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Today and tomorrow we are having some warm weather-even though I know there are members whose weather is much hotter. Its so hard to have something good to eat. I have to run some errands and going to grocery store-I'm picking up some stuff for salads, watermelon but Neil likes a hot meal for dinner. (just eat outside its will be hot!!)
What do you like to eat when its warm and humid (besides ice cream
)?
It's hard enought to cool this house in the summer without having the oven going so if it cannot be microwaved, I stick to salads and sandwiches. And yes, I am a man, and I do most of the cooking around this house.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today it's about a billion degrees out. Well, ok 90* with humidity that feels like 100*. So I put a chicken in the crockpot this morning. Added Rotisserie seasoning and will serve with stuffing (cause the hubby likes it) and veggies.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been known to eat a big chunk of watermelon for dinner during the summer. Love the stuff!!

When I need to cook for DH, I send him out with something for the grill then make some type of salad. Usually a fruit salad or Oriental Cole Slaw.

The easiest but yummy grill item: marinade some boneless chicken breasts in a mixture of honey and Catalina dressing for a couple of hours then throw it on the grill. Chicken is lighter than red meats and the dressing makes it sweet.

Oriental Cole Slaw

1 large head cabbage
1 bunch green onions (w/tops) chopped
½ c white vinegar
1 cup salad oil
½ cup sugar
2 tsp. soy sauce
½ cup butter
1 pkg. Raman noodles
1 small pkg. slivered almonds
½ cup sesame seeds

Chop up cabbage and green onions then mix in a large bowl. Refrigerate over night.

Combine vinegar, salad oil, sugar and soy sauce in a blender until very smooth (blending will keep the oil from separating later). Refrigerate over night.

Melt butter in skillet. Break up Raman noodles (throw away the spices). Slightly brown noodles, almonds and sesame seeds. Add the sesame seeds towards the end as they can brown very quickly. Drain on paper towels for 2 hours. Mix all ingredients just before serving.