what do you guys do for vacations?

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Trustedhousesitters.com.  It's like AirBnB but instead of the person paying you to stay in your house, they look after your pets.  They don't vet the sitters themselves (although there is the option for them to get police vetting), but there are reviews and you can ask for references, etc.

I'm going away today and using it for the first time. Previously I'd either just paid someone to come in once a day (for short trips), or used the kennel at the vet's for a long trip, but that gets so expensive and it is harder for them.  I don't have any family around so this just seems the best option. I'll let you all know how it works out :)
So I just got back yesterday and I wanted to say it worked out really well - apart from a little behavioural issue (see here) which was not the sitter's fault!!!  They warmed up to her, which was great because they are really shy and don't spend a lot of time around people other than me. And I felt so, so, so much better knowing that they were being looked after properly, and not spending most of the day on their own wondering if they were ever going to get fed again.

They missed me though! They made sure I knew it, snuggling up to me last night