What do you guys do for a living?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I write, do scrimshaw, make custom knives, and am partners with Anne on Meowhoo.com and also work with her on TCS. I do feral rescue and work with The Cat Welfare Society of Israel doing PR here in the states along with two other people.

My husband is a knifemaker and woodworker.

tarav

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I have only been doing it for about a yr, that includes 6 months of schooling. It is harder than I ever thought it would be, but I absolutely love it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunny

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
guys, thanks for sharing! I feel like Im really getting to know everyone...

Hissy, whats a "scrimshaw"?

And Shell - Good luck with your new career in Wal Mart! (one of my favorites places to spend money when I visit in the USA...
)

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nunny, here's a quote from Mary Anne (hissy) about scrimshaw:

Scrimshaw evolved from the whaling days when the ships were out for such a long period of time and the sailors got bored. Someone took a whale's tooth and scratched a design on it, then put ink over the design, wiped it off, and there was the first scrimmed piece. You basically take your material and with a small tool called a scrimmer (looks like a pencil except the tip is a needle, or these days, a carbide point) You draw your design on the material. Then you take ink and apply the ink over the design, take a cloth and wipe it off and the ink goes down and stays in the grooves of the scratches.

I got into it, when a client asked Mike if he knew anyone who could scrim the handle of his knife. The knife was bone, and the man wanted a grizzly bear. Mike told him I could do it! :p It took a few attempts on other material, but I have always liked to draw and so I did a small head of a grizzly and got paid for it. So I was on my way.
Hope that helps!

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Princess Purr
I'm 24! I just start working as a respection/anything else for a realstate company
I also own my own business. (little online store I make bracelets, beads, figures and that kinda stuff! ) I think my hardest job is being a wife
Out of curiosity, what is a respection?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kim I think she meant a receptionist-

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry i ment receptionist
I was typing fast because i should be working and not playing online

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am a research scientist at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, studying the outcomes of bone marrow transplants.

lhezzza

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a production manager for a publishing company.

We publish childrens educational and teaching tools

Basically..... I get to read children's books all day
(and play "reserch" on the internet!)

spooky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a receptionist at the World headquarters of a global moving/relocation company.

Hubby works as a computer tech for IBM.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in training, to be a customer service rep, for Chrysler Financial Corp. After a while, I may be able to move up to team Leader, collections agent or Subject Matter Expert.

In the past, I've been a cocktail waitress, bartender, medical assistant and phlebotomist, among other things.

julieb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to be a chemist, but now I have my own business as a personal chef. I do grocery shopping and cooking for people in their homes. I go to each client's home (I have 11 clients) every week or two and fill up their fridge and freezer with meals for the week(s). Sometimes I do parties and holidays for my clients, but I don't do outside catering except for friends, as a little hobby.

I love my job, especially having lots of free time. I only work about 20-25 hours a week, but I still make enough to live on. My hubby makes up the difference with his pay, but I do all the housework, so it evens out. I liked working in the lab, too, but in science, there are a lot of egos thrashing into each other, and a lot of people in management who aren't trained for it, so I wasn't sad to lose that part of my life. Everything is so much simpler now, and my boss is a great lady!

julieb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some are picky... I have about a dozen kids in my chef "family" and of course they have the usual kid aversions to mushrooms and olives and things like that. I have one guy who goes a bit wacko if there is a visible onion in his food - I have to grind them up into a mush in the food processor. Most are no problem at all, though.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am the Lead Teacher in a Title I elementary school. Here in the U.S. that means that my school receives federal funding because the poverty level of our student population is high. About 90% of our kids receive free or reduced-price breakfast and lunch at school (based on family income). I am in a supervisory role of sorts.

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a middle school teacher. That means I could quite possible be totally nuts. Especially at this time of the year, when the students are helping me further down the road to crazyland.

I teach Spanish and English as a Second Language (ESL), in an urban school, also Title 1. Like Deb, a large number of the students in my school qualify for free or reduced price breakfast and lunch.

As an ESL teacher, I get to work with children from all over the world. Most of our immigrants come from the Caribbean area, primarily Cuba and Puerto Rico, but we have a few Haitians, Africans (Togo and Ethiopia) and Latin Americans. It's interesting, and most of the immigrant students are better behaved than the ones who are born here.