What do you grow in your garden?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We do herbs in planters and hanging baskets: tarragon, chives, rosemary, parsley, thyme, sage, oregano, garlic chives, spearmint; plus a sea of lemon balm in the garden. There's rhubarb, which isn't doing terribly well this year, because the beds haven't had the attention they should have, and consequently there's a lot of grass in them, shoving stuff around. There is a humongous patch of volunteer strawberries, which came and went while we were away -- I have no idea whether there was enough fruit to use or not, but whatever there was, I guess the slugs got it. We do scarlet runner beans every year, and they are doing OK. We normally do several tubs of cherry tomatoes, but couldn't find seedlings this year for some reason -- our usual supplier is no longer in business, and everywhere else I looked didn't have the variety we wanted, if they had anything worth buying. That's all the edibles, except for the nasturtiums, of course.

Other plants: Hydrangea, Rose campion, a yellow climbing rose, a quince tree, umpteen yuccas, forsythia, several hostas, peony, lilac, most of which was here when we moved in 16 years ago, and has simply been encouraged.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My garden is not enjoying this hot weather, everything is drying up. This pic was taken last week before it got so hot.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a great thread, and I'm loving the pictures and garden descriptions.

We are renting a house in a frankly horrible area, and the house, while being only about 30 years old is falling apart (though I still love it), but the garden is lovely, lots of mature trees, bushes, etc - there are also lillies and crocus - two of my favourite plants, though I worry about my cats (who ignore them, thank the gods). There are also rhubarb and blackberries in the back yeard.

I have planted: onions, dill, sage, thyme, majoram and basil.

I will be planting a patch of cat grass and forget me nots over the kitty graves in the backyard, we are still preparing the area. I also have blackcurrant, blueberries and rasberries in tubs (which I think I will have to plant, though I might just move them to bigger tubs so I can take them with me when we move) and a dwarf apple tree that needs a buddy before it can produce fruit.

I am also going to plant some flowers - can anyone tell me if Love in a Mist is cat safe? Also Helichysum, Harebell and Larkspur?

Also, what do you guys do to keep cats away from plants that are poisonous to them? Thus far, mine have totally ignored them, but I still worry.

lucat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have at the moment-cranesbill,globe thistles,purple coneflowers,astilbles of different colors,heather,blue salvia, mallow, chinese lilacs,cornflowers, blue flag,siberian iris, several different hostas,goldenrod, balloon flowers in blue,pink & white,sundrops,bee balm,verbana,peonies,roses,comfrey,chives,job's tears in blue,pink & purple,buttercups, petunias,red salvia,thyme(6 kinds),crocus,daffodills (all kinds),lilac bushes,catnip
and too many types of lilies to count. in addition-tomatos & cukes in pots on porch. I,also, have fields of milkweed ( 2 types) for my "monarch butterfly" nurseries -butterflies are everywhere at the moment. We are surrounded by forest so trees everywhere for birds,butterflies & wildlife. All my gardens are done with random "purpose" & are for attracting bees,butterflies & hummingbirds-& anything else that wanders thru-

Forgot the wildflowers I let grow wherever they want to plant themselves