What do you do?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great Question and it is certainly so fun to see what everyone does, other than loving and caring for out cats

I do mid-day dog walking. I do enjoy it but when the weather is bad, it is absolutely no fun but most of my dogs seem to love their walks no matter what the weather. I am a very active person, so it suits me just fine. I also ride and train dressage horses. I recently sold my upper level dressage horse and taking a bit of a break of horse ownership and barn work. I am still riding two horses during the week and usually do that in the early mornings. I also volunteer at a local shelter helping with cats.
Since I have been home a bit more now since selling the horse, I have been spending more time cooking, so DH is happy about that.....

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drive a cab. I took the job out of desperation when I was let go fro my job at the cable company, and now I cannot imagine doing anything else. I have had to cut way back on my hours since I am now considered disabled, but I still like it. I drive mostly Marines back and forth from bases to town or to the airport, and people going to doctor's appointments. I have met some very interesting people and had some wonderful conversations.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I am unemployed
. When I do work I am an executive/administrative assistant. I am trying to figure out what to do next since I am not having any luck finding a job. I would like to change jobs but don't know what to do next.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a case worker for the elderly in our county. We are a property tax funded program providing in home services to those over 60, with the intent to keep them in their homes as long as possible, and avoid nursing home placement. It is my job to assess the clients need and set up the services for them. We provide services like home delivered meals, emergency response systems, personal care, homemaking, medical transportation, companion, benefit advocates (someone to help pay bills and apply for programs such as insurance and prescription discounts) and also provide medical equipment and home repairs for accessibility (tub cut outs, ramps). We serve appx 4,000 in our county, and I have a caseload of appx 125. Our program is often the only program the elderly are eligible for based on their needs. Passport which is a medicaid funded program requires an extremely high physical need as well as low income financial status.

It has been extremely rewarding, though heartbreaking.

Leslie

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a researcher at a national lab. Right now, I'm in a temporary position that's contracted for one year with the option to extend it up to two more. I'm hoping to get hired on as permanent staff at the end of this year or the next.

My specialty is running computer simulations of the transport of uncharged particles (photons and neutrons) and the response they create in detectors. Typically, my days are spent in front of my computer building models, running simulations, writing small programs to extract the mountains of data and put it in a usable format, and then analyzing it. I also have to write papers with the results, write proposals for future work, and review other people's papers. Occasionally, I get into the lab to actually test the results of my simulations, but that can be a bit frustrating since I don't do it very often. It typically takes me three days to do a measurement that one of the "lab bunnies" can do in one because I have to run around looking for equipment and then putting it into the configuration that I need.

jan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow this is fascinating! What a huge variety of different things we do!

I work in a museum as an educator, running school visits for primary aged children in a Tudor farmhouse. I spend my days dressed as a 16th Century farmer's wife!

I'm also doing a Masters in Museum Learning.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a banker and I dislike it right now. Its not the job but the lack of advancement opportunities at the institution I am at. What I would like to do, there is no money in it and I need that to support the household.

I am also a mom of two kids and take care of my 85 year old dad. Along with that...I have six fur babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jan

Wow this is fascinating! What a huge variety of different things we do!
It is fascinating!

Originally Posted by Calvin&I

I am a graduate student - working to get my PhD. <snip>
In what?

Originally Posted by vampcow

<snip>In addition, I am currently waiting to hear if I got into the PhD program I want to attend. I want to get my PhD In Educational leadership.
Wow, another one who isn't busy at all.
Good luck and on getting into the program!

Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I am a stay at home Mom to 3 kids, My oldest is 20, she has a lot special needs. My son is 13 He is also a high needs kid. My youngest is 7 so far she seems ok. All of my children are adopted. They were all children in care. In the last few months I have been overwhelmed with more and more diagnosises with my 2 older children. I have started to go to counseling. I am trying very hard to stay strong, but dealing with the fact that my oldest will never be able to live independantly, is breaking my heart.
You know our story. It's not even close to what you've been through as we adopted our daughter knowing there were major problems, but my heart goes out to you.

Originally Posted by GailC

About 2.5 years ago a applied for a pt job at a artisan bread bakery. About a year ago I was promoted to retail store (operations) manager. I work on scheduling, ordering ancillary products and advise the owners on quantities of the "sweeter" items to bake as well as handling all donation/fundraising requests. I get to work the counter and fun jobs like dishes, laundry, bathroom cleaning and other stuff that needs to be done to.
Last week I got to yell at someone "stealing" several days old bread from the dumpster!
Its never a boring job.
Why would you need to prevent someone from taking bread out of the garbage?
And aren't there any programs (like Meals on Wheels or religious "soup kitchens," or like govt programs for food for the elderly?) to which the old bread could be donated so it needn't be thrown away?

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I

Why would you need to prevent someone from taking bread out of the garbage?
And aren't there any programs (like Meals on Wheels or religious "soup kitchens," or like govt programs for food for the elderly?) to which the old bread could be donated so it needn't be thrown away?
Actually, I have read of many businesses that throw food out instead of donating it. There was a huge thing a few years back about how Speedway was throwing out food and the employees were forbidden to donate it to the hungry. I think Wal-Mart's hot food deli is the same.

I think its sad that so much food goes to waste.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our daughter, before she was our daughter, and her friends regularly got their meals from dumpsters. There are over 400,000 children in New York City alone that have "fallen out" of the foster system.
When we got involved and became aware of the problem, Gary flipped out when a friend that owned a pizza place started pouring bleach on his garbage at the end of the day - he was doing this to prevent homeless people from eating the food in the garbage! He didn't like them being around.

Suffice it to say he no longer does this. And funny enough, he doesn't have a problem with homeless people in his parking lot or out by his dumpsters. But there are 300,000 homeless families in our county. Given the sad state of services available, I think they should be able to eat GARBAGE.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They throw the food away rather than donating it because often it doesn't get given to the people until is actually quite stale -- and this reflects poorly on the business. This is actually quite common with bakeries.

For example if Gail's bakery donated to a shelter and then workers there asked where the food came from and the bakery was named. They would possibly not go there after seeing how stale the food is whatever. Just an example. It's sad, but businesses have to protect their competitive methods.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a full time day night/night shift manager at Burger Fuel - which is a NZ owned company.

I graduated with a Bachelor of Hospitality Management in 2010 and I need to start looking for another job soon.

I'm also a Longhair Cat Judge with the NZCF
and travel all over NZ judging cats!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

They throw the food away rather than donating it because often it doesn't get given to the people until is actually quite stale -- and this reflects poorly on the business. This is actually quite common with bakeries.

For example if Gail's bakery donated to a shelter and then workers there asked where the food came from and the bakery was named. They would possibly not go there after seeing how stale the food is whatever. Just an example. It's sad, but businesses have to protect their competitive methods.
I can see why a local bakery would rather throw their goods away... but the large chain stores? Or simply have a policy that where the food comes from can't be disclosed.

And I still don't see any reason not to allow people to eat the garbage out of the dumpster/cans. I don't expect many customers would take up the practice of waiting until the food was being tossed so they could get it free. I guess I could be wrong, but...

Anyway, back on topic.

Calvin&I - very interesting! So with that degree... you get a job teaching?

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@ LDG - yes I will look for a tenure-track teaching position (Assistant Professor) at a University once am done. I would like to teach and do research. In our field we have to publish a book within 5 years, among other things, to get tenure. Most people turn their dissertation into a book.

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm always moving and spending time with friends that I have way to many occupations.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a teacher. I moved from Kindergarten to Grade 1/2 this year and I'm having a bit of a difficult time, despite having a pretty nice group of kids. It's been a lot of work teaching a split and a lot of learning...and I feel a bit like a first year teacher again. I also find it's harder to ignore all the "mandated" stuff in this grade, which takes away from teaching the way I want to teach. In the end though, it's a good job and something I enjoy most of the time.

I'm technically still an occasional teacher (or substitute/supply)...I'm currently covering a maternity leave. The teacher is due to return at the beginning of June, so I will be back to daily supplying. 5 years of this and I'm REALLY ready for someone to hire me.