What do you do when your cats in heat

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess they can instantly go out of heat but it takes awhile before they go in once you expose them to more daylight.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and yeah-they are supposed to not cycle during that time. I don't know how well it works though.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

From what I know of photoperiod anestrus, cats must have at least 8 to 12 hours of bright daylight per 24 hour period in order to cycle normally and the temperature needs to be in the mid- to high 60's F. The idea is to simulate Spring as the light is changing.
What if the temp is higher then 60 F? Although I closed the vent in my son's room heat still comes out and I know its normally about 70 F in there. Spring here is pretty warm though.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the temperature is higher than the recommended mid- to high 60's F, then it won't work. You have to simulate the season when female cats begin to cycle normally - Spring. Longer, warm, sunny days and cooler, shorter nights.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok so what would be the best way to keep her out of heat then? I'm getting confused with all the numbers lol. Should I aim for higher temps and less light?

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no, you want to simulate winter so lower temps (but not too cold for poor kitty) and less then 8 hours a day of light. Were probably confusing you because we are talking both about bringing cats into heat and keeping them out of heat.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

If the temperature is higher than the recommended mid- to high 60's F, then it won't work. You have to simulate the season when female cats begin to cycle normally - Spring. Longer, warm, sunny days and cooler, shorter nights.
The thing about california is though that our spring is generally more summer like. Unless it's a rainy spring. You can never tell in sacramento. It's not unusual for sacramento to get in the 90's in spring.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poor kitty. My friend had a dog that couldn't be spayed due to a severe heart murmur and then got pyo so had to have an emergency spay - fortunately she survived that, and it was her heart that eventually got the better of her. I had an unspayed 14 year old this year that had mammary cancer, so we never spayed her, and the calling was awful to hear, i felt really sorry for her - the average age for mammary cancer is 10 though, so i would be more worried about pyo. I know how you feel about your bad luck with animals, I have lost 4 plus a foster in 3 and a half years. just think that however short they are with you, they have a good home, and go with someone who loves them.

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Booktigger, thanks for that, it's good to hear others have had the same problems. The vet I brought her to said that cats don't tend to get pyo as often as dogs. Dogs usually get it 10% if unspayed and cats 1-2% if unspayed, at least that's what he told me. He said it was because dogs are so open while in heat where as cats are still pretty closed.

And here's the update. She went into heat again last Tuesday or so and I've been trying to induce ovulation. I left for vacation on Friday and my boyfriend won't "do that to her ew" lol so as of today he said she's still in heat. But for 4 days it didn't look like I was able to induce ovulation so I'm really at a wits end now! Oh well, just wanted to let you know how my 'experiment' was going. :-/

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pregnancy is protective against pyo. I suspect the main reason that cats get pyo less often than dogs is really because it's entirely possible to keep a dog from getting pregnant but it's very, very difficult to keep a cat from getting pregnant sooner or later.

It's true that pyometra is less common in cats but I still wouldn't trust my luck on that one. I have seen cats with pyo on more than one occasion. I would consider it pretty much a given that sooner or later she'll either get pregnant or get pyo.

lizch6699

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So kind of a little update... Most of you know that Mama survived the surgury.
She just got her stitches out so I asked the vet what type of anesthisia they used because I know a lot of people were interested in it. He said they used (and forgive my spelling lol) ketamine and valium as the injection and isoflourine, the gas as the anesthisia.