What do you do when you have a cold?

dandi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to use those zicam nasal swabs with zinc but I think they have taken them off the market. It's a shame because I always felt it really helped me. Also take my vitamins and use Mucinex. And the one special thing that always makes me feel better is (weather permitting) going outside wrapped in in my quilt and just sitting in the sunshine for a while. I don't know why, but it always works wonders for me.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to be quite careful about taking OTC meds simply because I take prescription med regularly and I have sensitivities to several of the OTC ingredients. No anti-inflammatories like ASA or Ibuprofen, I'm allergic. Also cold mixtures like pheo ephedrine which makes me hyper, I would literally be up for days, and you would be surprised by how many cold mixtures that are filled with caffeine.

So I try to stick to more natural treatments, Vick's on my chest, lots of orange juice, and fluids. I do take extra zinc and try and eat more fruit to increase my vitamin C. Also I am a firm believer of the old Chicken Soup therapy. Scientifically speaking it makes sense since the heat from the soup actually do kill the germs in you mouth and throat and it soothes me as being very much a comfort food from my youth. Other then that just some down time and sleep.

Oh yes and of course lots of kitty cuddles.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I realize I'm getting sick, I immediately go out and buy:
1. Sudafed non-drowsy formula

2. Puffs tissue with lotion

3. Something new to read -- even if I have to pay full price!
(Hey, I'm sick, I deserve to splurge a little!)
And then I ask my mom to make some potato soup.