What do you do to keep your house cool in the summer?

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents don't have A/C so our house keeps cool just by having the windows and back door open, and in the evenings our ceiling fans are put on.

I even have a tall fan in my bedroom for during the night. The cool air from that is so nice.

(Also, living right on the coast does have its advantages especially the cool sea breeze.
)

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tolerate the heat at all. I usually turn on the a/c in late March/early April and turn it off mid to late October. My cooling bills are as expensive as my heating bills in the winter. Life is too short to be miserable. I always joke that my cats never lose their winter coats!!!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it true that if I keep the windows CLOSED all day long that it won't get so $&@# hot in my apartment??

My BF told me that, and said he used to do that before I moved in and it worked. I didn't believe him so i insisted on keeping the windows open a bit.

It gets pretty hot inside, especially during summer, even when the temps are only in the 70s outside. We have no A/C (i hate A/C for the most part, so i don't mind so much). I'm on the 10th floor facing west, so after about 3PM it does get to where i just want to hang out in the dark bathroom where it's siginificantly cooler. That's what the cat does sometimes.

So really, should we open windows at night, then close them before leaving for work in the morning, as well as putting the blinds down? You really think it'll work??? (and do i have to admit to BF that i was wrong and he was right all along?)

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So really, should we open windows at night, then close them before leaving for work in the morning, as well as putting the blinds down? You really think it'll work??? (and do i have to admit to BF that i was wrong and he was right all along?)
I wouldn't open the windows at night unless you know the temp is going to cool down during the night. I know a lot of people used to do that before ac became so available. And yes, keep the blinds and curtains drawn to keep the sun out. It really does help.

This year however I'm buying one of those portable ones that you can plug into a wall and move from place to place!
I'd love to know just how good one of those portable ac units works. I've thought about getting one for our 2nd floor instead of having 2 window units going at night.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Because of my arthritis it should be the opposite but I do not function well in hot weather. For me air conditioning is a must.

Now I am on the third floor and unfortunately the air conditioner is a large wall unit in the living room. It is noisier that I like but it does do a good job.

The weather here has been cool and rainy but I still have it on. My theory is to let it run on low and hopefully maintain a steady temperature. The only room that does get a bit warmer is the bedroom. I have a fan in there if I need it.

A month ago we had a week of really hot weather and when I turned the air on it made a lot of loud noise. I had to have it repaired. During that time I was worried about leaving Chester in the house with all the windows closed.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, it's cooled off 10 degrees here and its only 95 right now. Yup, we hit 105 without the heat index today and it's HOT!

I don't like air conditioning, so unless it gets over 90 (with high humidity) or if the critters look uncomfortable, I leave the windows open, the ceiling fans on high, and will turn on the whole house fan in a pinch. I also keep as many lights off and cook on the grill rather than heating up the house with the oven. To cool off, we'll jump in the pool.

But when I go to work and can't leave the windows open, I set the A/C thermostat to 82 and close the blinds and curtains all over the house. I do this for the critters, not to come home to a cool house.

Last year when we had our patio doors replaced and new windows put in, we got sun-shield e-grade windows on anything facing south. We have porcelain tile floors all over the house and the critters hang out on those floors because they are fairly cool. I also drop ice cubes in their water dishes. We've planted some trees closer to the house so that when they grow up, they'll give us more shade.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It gets up to 115 or hotter here during summer so on those days we leave the air on with all the blinds closed adn fans running. On days it isnt as hot we just have the fans going in the morning and when i get home i will turn the air on.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Hot" is 30c (mid 80s) and humidity is not the problem it is some places, so AC is not really necessary. To keep the air moving, we open front and back doors, and place fans in strategic positions. It's usually enough to stay sane.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well its 82f outside and its warmer in the house (83 & 85f and warmer upstairs) so I opened some of the windows and have the fans in them. Six fans in total running.
Took the air mattress to the family room as I'm sleeping there tonite!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

"Hot" is 30c (mid 80s) and humidity is not the problem it is some places, so AC is not really necessary. To keep the air moving, we open front and back doors, and place fans in strategic positions. It's usually enough to stay sane.
We are having a hot week here (of course we are - Toronto garbage collectors are on strike).

Today is supposed to be up to 30 with who knows what humidity index. It was 27 yesterday. Our house was fairly cool when I got home from work and we slept with our windows open to let a nice breeze blow through.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

We are having a hot week here (of course we are - Toronto garbage collectors are on strike).
Yes, I was thinking about you guys when I heard that on the news. They sure do know how to pick their time, don't they?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Yes, I was thinking about you guys when I heard that on the news. They sure do know how to pick their time, don't they?
They certainly do. The Gay Pride parade is this weekend with thousands of visitors expected to come to Toronto - that should be quite the picnic.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our high was 124 yesterday, miserable, today it's only 114, much better.
Yes, I'm being sarcastic, I prefer it in the 90-100 range, beyond that, the PNWer in me just dies.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky for me I live in a basement flat so it is pretty cool and shadey down here in summer
Unfortunatly that also means it is blinkin freezing in winter!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Our A/C runs 24/7
It's hotter than blazes here in the summer
Its so humid here in the summer, that not having it running just makes me miserable! A/C is my best friend in the summer.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So much the the "ceiling fan will circulate air" theory. Belle is terrified of the thing. Poor girl spend most of yesterday and this morning hiding. When she finally got her courage up (long after the fan had been turned off), we turned the A/C unit on and the air came out in a direction that moved the blades of the fan around. Back under the bed she went. She's come out now, but is still unsure of the still fan. I may just have to take it out!

So, I think I'll turn the A/C on during the day when I'm home, and turn it off in the evenings when it's a little cooler. Right now, we're OK with a fan in the bedroom, but we'll see how long that lasts.

My only concern is if we go away for a weekend or something? Will the cats be OK with just a fan (I don't want to leave the A/C on when we go away...someone can turn it on for a bit when they are here to check on the cats). The A/C was off all day today and it wasn't horrible up here when I got home from work at 6. However, it's probably not as hot as it is going to get. Of course, I turned the A/C on, and both cats set up camp on the floor of the outdoor patio! So, maybe my concern is completely ridiculous!

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

So much the the "ceiling fan will circulate air" theory. Belle is terrified of the thing. Poor girl spend most of yesterday and this morning hiding. When she finally got her courage up (long after the fan had been turned off), we turned the A/C unit on and the air came out in a direction that moved the blades of the fan around. Back under the bed she went. She's come out now, but is still unsure of the still fan. I may just have to take it out!
You shouldn't have to take the fan out, when we first turned on our ceiling fans this summer Sam was petrified! He would find a spot he couldn't see them and just hide there. We held firm and he came around. He's currently asleep under the living room fan with his tummy in the air!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by badgeygirl

You shouldn't have to take the fan out, when we first turned on our ceiling fans this summer Sam was petrified! He would find a spot he couldn't see them and just hide there. We held firm and he came around. He's currently asleep under the living room fan with his tummy in the air!
When I turned my ceiling fan on yesterday, Kizzy made me laugh. He sat right under it and tried to jump and catch it
When that didn't work, he got up on my hubbys computer chair and started swatting at it.... last try, he climbed up onto the top of the back of the chair (remember, he is a big boy, trying to perch on a couple inches of chair).....dug his hind claws in, tried to stand up and "catch the fan"..... He fell, onto the seat of the chair

Kitchi on the other hand is slightly nervous of it, and was hiding under the bed for a bit. As long as I was there, he was fine, focused on loving me.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Once she gets comfortable with the motionless fan itself again (she's still keeping a close eye on it), maybe I'll try to let the A/C push the blades so that it moves fairly slowly. I learned last night that the defense for a scared cat with sharp claws is a heavy sweatshirt, even if it's hot. Maybe I can slowly get her over her fear of the big bad ceiling fan. I just feel bad because everytime she starts to get comfortable, something happens to scare her again! Delilah doesn't seem at all phased by it!

Sorry....thread hijacked for a second....please proceed with regularly scheduled cooling discussion!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humidity here reaches 70-80%. It's hard to breathe without the A/C
It feels like there is a film of moisture on ur skin even if you don't sweat. I hate this weather, I was waiting for summer so impatiently and now that it's here I can't stand it lol