what do you do if you never get proof of S/N?

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering what you other breeders do if you get pet buyers that never send in proof of s/n? Most of mine have but a few haven't. Of course I won't give them papers but would you personally go further and perhaps call or write the buyer to let them know that you need proof or you will have to take legal action?
What do you all think?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was lucky I never ran into that problem (there is a risk). But have heard of other breeders taking the person to court or going and physically taking the cat back from the person.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am also lucky in that I haven't run into this either and hopefully, never will. Be the possibility certainly does exist - what I have tried to do (unsuccessfully) is to find a competent vet willing to perform pediatric spay/neuter at an affordable cost before my kittens ever leave the house. I think that once pediatric spay/neuter becomes more mainstream, the cost will come down and the number of trained vets will come up. Hopefully, my luck with honest kitten buyers will hold out until then. *crossing fingies so I don't jinx it*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Niether of you has ever had a buyer not send proof in?

wearymicrobe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, could you take a deposit when you release the kitten that would be returned upon recieval of the S/N paperwork.

Say 100$ or 10% of the cost of the kitten.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wearymicrobe

Just a thought, could you take a deposit when you release the kitten that would be returned upon recieval of the S/N paperwork.

Say 100$ or 10% of the cost of the kitten.
Yeah I could...but if a person won't s/n the cat because they are secretly wanting to breed it then this probably won't deter them.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The solution to the problem is to spay and neuter before releasing the kitten to the new owner. Thats what the breeder of my 2 abyssinians does. Include it in the cost of the kitten if necessary. It would save all the later grief in tracking the people down.. I loved the fact that my 2 abbys were already fixed!!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

I was wondering what you other breeders do if you get pet buyers that never send in proof of s/n? Most of mine have but a few haven't. Of course I won't give them papers but would you personally go further and perhaps call or write the buyer to let them know that you need proof or you will have to take legal action?
What do you all think?
The one time this happened to me I called and set up an apt. to go see my boy and then asked again for their proof he'd been neutered. That did the trick.

He was from my second litter ever in the late 1980's..I later went to s/n of all pet kittens before they left for their new homes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, never had a pet person not send me proof. Like Gayle, I'm probably in the minority. I know many have spayed/neutered at a young age, I still prefer the females be done 6-8 months and 8-9 for the males.

I knew a lot of the owners before hand and just was lucky they were all honest with me. I would think that if you neutered before placing and explained that the cost of the kitten INCLUDED all shots and neutering, then people would be more then willing to give you what you ask. I guess I'd have to be comfortable with the early neutering first

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

The solution to the problem is to spay and neuter before releasing the kitten to the new owner. Thats what the breeder of my 2 abyssinians does. Include it in the cost of the kitten if necessary. It would save all the later grief in tracking the people down.. I loved the fact that my 2 abbys were already fixed!!
I've been considering this. The problem is my vet is very pricey and I think most people would be able to get the procedure done for a lot less than what I could.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

I've been considering this. The problem is my vet is very pricey and I think most people would be able to get the procedure done for a lot less than what I could.
What about checking around to see if there is another vet who can perform the procedure for less. It allows the owner to get the paperwork and not have to worry about s/n and you then don't have to be concerned about your kittens being bred without your permission.

Katie

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes definitely something I'll check into. I might call around and then let my vet know and ask if she wants the business of my kittens and offer me a price-match. I hate using multiple vets. For some reason it just dosen't feel right. However, the reason I'll be microchipping all my girls is for their own security so this would be very similar in ensuring their future.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried this route. I can't find a good vet who will do the procedure at 3 months. The only vets I can find are those that have literally "assembly line" type of operations for strays/ferals. I was told all about it by a rescuer friend of mione after I asked her for info on the vets that would do it at a young age.
I haven't been able to find a vet in my area who will do the operation for purebreds or family cats with whom people are already attached to.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats another problem. My vet did Hope at 4 months and were concerned as she got pretty cold and had to put her on a heating pad, but then again I get cold when I have surgery too. I've woken up piled high with blankets. I doubt they do much younger. But I can't be sure, I'll have to talk to them when the time comes.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got the same problem here ... there isn't a vet who is in private practice (not affiliated with a shelter or rescue) that feels confident enough to do the job and the one or two who did feel confident wanted an unreasonable amount of money once they found out I was a breeder. One even said to me, "You make money off the kittens, you can afford it." Ummm, first of all, no, I don't "make money" off my kittens and second, just because I am a breeder, why is it fair of you to overcharge me for a much-needed and necessary service?? I am still looking and won't give up yet, but it isn't looking good for the home team.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our first alters came to us altered before 12 weeks, and we have followed the same routine of early altering. We live right outside Oklahoma City, so we had a large city and several smaller towns outside of it that were driving distance for us. It took many weeks calling just about every vet in the phone book, and finding out if they did early altering. Once we found a handful, we set up appointments to interview them. We had done research on anesthesia's and knew what we didn't want used, and what we did. When we found a vet who felt comfortable with altering, and also would listen to us as well, we had found our vet.

My beginning questions were answered on early altering in this website: http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html, and the additional questions I have had, I have emailed with a vet in Canada who was able to reassure me that I was making the best decision for myself and my kittens.
In just my experience, my kittens have a smaller incision, that heals quicker, and our babies are playing the same day they have surgery. They can heal in the comfort of home around Mom and littermates, and then when they go to their new home, that is one less thing the owner has to worry about.
I also want to say that there was one vet who changed his mind after reading and researching it himself, he seemed very nice, but we felt more comfortable going with someone who had the experience of early altering.
In my respectful opinion, if one can find a vet who will perform early altering, it should be done for many, many reasons, most of which are beneficial to the cat, but also the new owner as well.
I do know of a breeder who allows her kittens to go unaltered and she has a contract stating that the owner shows proof of s/n by 8 months old, or it is assumed the cat is being used for breeding and the person is sued for $1,000.

Purrs,
Stormi

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

Our first alters came to us altered before 12 weeks, and we have followed the same routine of early altering. We live right outside Oklahoma City, so we had a large city and several smaller towns outside of it that were driving distance for us. It took many weeks calling just about every vet in the phone book, and finding out if they did early altering. Once we found a handful, we set up appointments to interview them. We had done research on anesthesia's and knew what we didn't want used, and what we did. When we found a vet who felt comfortable with altering, and also would listen to us as well, we had found our vet.

My beginning questions were answered on early altering in this website: http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html, and the additional questions I have had, I have emailed with a vet in Canada who was able to reassure me that I was making the best decision for myself and my kittens.
In just my experience, my kittens have a smaller incision, that heals quicker, and our babies are playing the same day they have surgery. They can heal in the comfort of home around Mom and littermates, and then when they go to their new home, that is one less thing the owner has to worry about.
I also want to say that there was one vet who changed his mind after reading and researching it himself, he seemed very nice, but we felt more comfortable going with someone who had the experience of early altering.
In my respectful opinion, if one can find a vet who will perform early altering, it should be done for many, many reasons, most of which are beneficial to the cat, but also the new owner as well.
I do know of a breeder who allows her kittens to go unaltered and she has a contract stating that the owner shows proof of s/n by 8 months old, or it is assumed the cat is being used for breeding and the person is sued for $1,000.

Purrs,
Stormi
I have that on my contract too. If the person is found breeding the pet cat they are sued for $2500.00 and they have to give the cat back. I think some people might just risk it anyway.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't anticipate ever facing this situation since I s/n everyone before placement, but if I did not get proof of sterilization in a timely manner and was unable to work things out in a civilized manner, then I would take the cat back as per the adoption contract.