What do you do if someone gives you food you don't like?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I just won't eat it. Life is too short.

Rick's parent invited me to dinner for the first time. She had made a New York style cheesecake for dessert. Never had it before. Tried one forkful. And I couldn't. I apologized and Rick took my piece. It's been that way ever since with cheesecake.

His mom made ratatouille for dinner. Never had it before. Never will again. She insisted I at least try it. I literally gagged terribly and had to spit it out into a paper towel. Fortunately that was after Rick and I had been married for quite a while and she was OK. She laughed. I wasn't amused. Eggplant is diseased and should be declared illegal. Along with cheesecake. I don't care if it's the Queen of England who offers it to me.....not eating either one.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eggplant is diseased and should be declared illegal. Along with cheesecake. I don't care if it's the Queen of England who offers it to me.....not eating either one.
But Elizabeth looks like such a sweet old lady. :flail:

I have wondered if Eggplant isn't like cilantro in who likes it and who doesn't being a genetic thing. I LOVE cilantro. Can't understand why someone would eat soggy, musty old gym socks though. :barfgreen:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eggplant is pretty neutrally flavored on it's own, maybe a little bitter. It's supposed to absorb whatever flavor you cook it in. And it tends to be slimy. I don't like it most of the time. But I do like eggplant parmesan :dunno:. So it really depends how it's prepared.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Eggplant is pretty neutrally flavored on it's own, maybe a little bitter. It's supposed to absorb whatever flavor you cook it in. And it tends to be slimy. I don't like it most of the time. But I do like eggplant parmesan :dunno:. So it really depends how it's prepared.
She made eggplant parmesan for dinner and invited us. And she made me a chicken thigh. Because she knew.

We had a yard sale one summer. A Mennonite lady came in to buy some silverware and I just gave the pieces to her. She went down to her buggy and came back with an eggplant in exchange. No, just no. I'm sorry. She went back down and sent her daughter up with some tomatoes. And I gratefully took them.

Really, I'll eat most anything and won't make a big deal out of it. Cheesecake? Eggplant? Get thee AWAY from me. :cringe:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will try almost anything. I’ve tried eggplant a few times and even grew them once (for my mom). Still can’t get over that one. The texture doesn’t help. Sort of like Okra. MIL breads and fries it and the first 2-3 are good. Then bleh. Liver’s texture isn’t great either.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
His mom made ratatouille for dinner. Never had it before. Never will again. She insisted I at least try it. I literally gagged terribly and had to spit it out into a paper towel.
This happened to me with okra. My mother-in-law insisted I didn't like it because I hadn't tasted it cooked properly. It was still just as disgusting the way she cooked it. I did the same, spit it into a napkin, and cleansed my offended palate with a swig of beer.
beersmiley1.gif

Never again.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eggplant is actually really difficult to get right, and it is a texture thing more than the taste. It has to be cooked to just right, one minute under or one minute over and it is disgusting. I don't think it is worth the effort, so I haven't worked with it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eggplant is actually really difficult to get right, and it is a texture thing more than the taste. It has to be cooked to just right, one minute under or one minute over and it is disgusting. I don't think it is worth the effort, so I haven't worked with it.
I agree. It is. If it's cooked properly, it's so good. If it's sliced too thickly, it's not good because it gets mushy.

I can't remember the last time this was an issue for me. I really don't go over to other people's houses for dinner. We had quite a few potlucks at the office over the years but I'd just walk past anything I didn't like and there were plenty of things. Like deviled eggs. They are aptly named because that is who invented them. I also do not like cheesecake and will not eat it no matter who made it. Same with carrot cake and tres leches cake. That's a big absolutely not from me. This didn't really come up often fortunately but NO to anything that cilantro has touched.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's meat, I would just tell them I'm not eating it. I don't really like dessert either, so I probably would refuse that. I also don't like huge portions, so I would ask to serve myself or have a separate empty plate to decant onto, or ask to take half of it to go. Anything else, I would probably just eat it or try to fix it with seasoning or hot sauce. I don't think there are any foods I hate besides meat and dessert. I don't really drink anything besides coffee/cappuccino and water anymore, so would probably refuse most other drinks. Tea is okay.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tres leches cake
I tried this when I was sampling desserts to try to find at least one that I liked. It was disgusting! The sweetened condensed milk in it is so gross, way too sweet!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuck! I don't like those either! :lol: Funny thing is, I love Cappuccino. Those are really sugary. I guess I like to drink my dessert.
Now for me I definitely have a popsicle over a Cappuccino any day. I gave up on any form of coffee in my 20's. I do enjoy tea both hot and cold.