What do you do if someone gives you food you don't like?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lol, I'll stick a spoon in a can of sweetened condensed milk, no preparation necessary!
Same here :lol: Did you know that if you boil a can of sweetened condensed milk for 3 hours you end up with dulce de leche? I first heard this on one of those PBS cooking shows years ago.

No, it tastes disgusting and it has gelatin in it, which is not vegetarian. I don't like dessert much at all.
There are vegetarian "Jellos" made with seaweed and other natural thickeners.

Eggplant is pretty neutrally flavored on it's own, maybe a little bitter. It's supposed to absorb whatever flavor you cook it in. And it tends to be slimy. I don't like it most of the time. But I do like eggplant parmesan :dunno:. So it really depends how it's prepared.
Salting eggplant for half an hour or so before cooking is supposed to draw out extra moisture and the bitterness. Just be sure to rinse the eggplant off and dry before cooking to remove extra salt.

Back on topic, if it's an option I just choose what I want to eat. I had a work dinner recently and raw oysters were ordered. I don't like oysters in any form so didn't have any. No one questioned me. If I'm at a dinner and the host prepares a whole meal with a single main entree, I just pick around what I don't like. If I'm asked beforehand what I would like, I'll let the host know of my preferences so a meal can be planned.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, I'll stick a spoon in a can of sweetened condensed milk, no preparation necessary!
Yuck! It's shocking how sweet it is. I was not expecting that...

There are vegetarian "Jellos" made with seaweed and other natural thickeners.
I wouldn't bother with it. Jello doesn't taste good to me. I'd rather have a slice of pizza!

I'm now craving sweetened condensed milk.
You might actually like it, since you like sweet things. Blech!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband's family puts milk on strawberry short cake rather than whipped cream.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to say, food neophobia really makes me upset. Unless you have allergies, or a dietary restriction why wouldn't you just try something? Just because something sounds disgusting doesn't mean it will be. Besides, refusing to try something is what toddlers do.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say, food neophobia really makes me upset. Unless you have allergies, or a dietary restriction why wouldn't you just try something? Just because something sounds disgusting doesn't mean it will be. Besides, refusing to try something is what toddlers do.
Hmm, lots to unpack here. Why would what other people choose to eat or not eat upset you? It doesn't affect your life in the slightest, or hurt anybody. If they want to miss out on great food that's their problem.

Second, if it's an actual phobia then that is, by definition, an irrational fear and not easy to overcome. And really there's no reason to try to overcome it if they don't want to. Choosing what to eat is one of the few times in life that we have 100% control over our own bodies.

Third, well, I guess I don't care if eyeballs are the best-tasting things on the planet; I'm just not going to eat eyeballs, or even try it. Everybody has limits.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The question wasn't really about trying new things. It was about things you know you don't like. I have no problem trying new things UNLESS they contain things I know I don't like.

I don't like bell peppers, cilantro, most seafood, hard boiled eggs and bananas to name a few. I would not eat anything containing these foods. A lot of people would suggest removing what you don't like. IMO that would be worse than just saying, "No thank you". I'm also not a big dessert person. That's partly because dessert was not something that we ate growing up unless it was a holiday. It's also because I just prefer savory foods over sweet ones. I'd take some good bread and cheese over a slice of cake any day.