What do you do for work?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I work as a vet tech in a feline only clinic. So, yep, pretty happy with my job! It's exactly where I want to be right now. Hopefully I can stay there while I finish my undergraduate work. And then on to vet school,
!

It is by far the best job I have ever had. I've worked as a vet tech for the last 2 years. Been at this clinic since February and I have never loved a job so much. I can't picture myself doing anything else!

Of course there are the horrible horrible moments, but the good definitely outweighs the bad! From the time I walk in the door to when I finally walk out it's go go go and I love that atmosphere. We're a small practice (7 employees in all) and work together really well as a team. I love everybody I work with. I couldn't ask for a better job.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an assistant store manager at Claire's Accessories. It can be fairly boring but it pays quite a bit better than other retail jobs.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a Registered Nurse. I work with psychiatric and substance abuse patients. My job has its days.

I'm talking with a lady in my town and we hoping to start a no-kill animal rescue. That has always been a dream "job" of mine. Of course I won't get paid and that's fine. My reward will be saving animals lives and getting them into a good home.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a Certified Professional Accountant working for a start-up in Silicon Valley. I'm Sr. Finance Manager, hate my job, but no matter how bad my day has been I come home to four wonderful kitty cats who love me no matter what! I'm saving as much as I can to buy a house with space to have a dog as well. Many years ago, I used to raise, train, and show collies and my mom and I had four collies and four cats who got along marvelously. I'm so lucky to have my four babies and the TCS cats that I see go over the RB makes me love and spoil them all the more.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently a full time student. I'm 3 weeks off finishing my 2nd year as a Management degree student. One more year to go and then perhaps another year (post grad diploma).

I'm currently working at a NZ owned burger chain - my boss is awesome, my coworkers are awesome and my boss emotionally supports my habit (can you guess?)

When I'm finished my degree I'm hoping it will take me into facilities management/health and safety for a large organisation

alaskakatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, let's see: Monday thru Friday I am a registered nurse at a family practice clinic,
Every other weekend I am a house supervisor at the local hospital.
On my Saturday's off, I am a volunteer for the local animal shelter!!! YEAH!
In my spare time I own and run a Bed and Breakfast/Lodge in Alaska. I would love to be able to just do that full time, but we are pretty seasonal up here. No body really wants to come up in winter??? Go figure. So I have to have something else to make money in the winter months. I love being a nurse, but sometimes I prefer my cats!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently am a waitress at Perkins. I cant stand my job most of the time but not really because of the customers but because of my boss and several of my co workers who are idiots. I hate being taken advantage of by my bosses because if you say no to them once for picking up extra hours and stuff they will never ask you again. Right now Im going on what I think is my fourth week of having only one day off and working outside of my normal shifts. BF hates my job because Im never home anymore and when I am home Im too tired or exhausted to do anything like cook dinner or heavy duty cleaning. Right now Im scraping by because people in our area want to still go out to eat but dont want to tip their servers. I DONT EVEN MAKE 3 DOLLARS AN HOUR!!!!!!!!! I cant wait till BF gets his license back *In 4 years* because he will be able to get his job back and I might get lucky where I could cut my hours back and be home more with him and my kitties. Geez now after typing this I am dreading finishing getting ready for work because Ive got a 12-7 shift which means I will be lucky to get home on time..And Ill probably get yelled at by management because Ill get overtime (because they screwed up the schedules and missed a shift which I had to pick up) and then Ill be messing up their bonus for the quarter by getting over time. Whelp maybe that will teach them to do their jobs right so I dont have to cover their butts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need a new job!

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of interesting careers afore mentioned. I think there were 3 nurses?

I have been in college for like forever. My first degree was fine art/painting. That was a useless degree so to pay/defer my student loans I had to stay in school.

I am now a medical technologist. I work in microbiology identifying bacteria and recommending antibiotics. I like it but is stressful.

I want to be a florist in my next life.
and watch plants grow.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't realize there were so many of us RN's here! I am a RN on a cardiac stepdown unit on the weekend, a nursing (clinical) instructor Monday/ Wednesday, and a full time grad student every day of the week. My back hurts everyday, all day, some days worse than others so I thought if I became an instructor it would help. It helped my back but now I get headaches listening to the whining, lol.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pipersjo

I didn't realize there were so many of us RN's here! I am a RN on a cardiac stepdown unit on the weekend, a nursing (clinical) instructor Monday/ Wednesday, and a full time grad student every day of the week. My back hurts everyday, all day, some days worse than others so I thought if I became an instructor it would help. It helped my back but now I get headaches listening to the whining, lol.
We all don't whine
Us students may not have a clue sometimes what we're doing

I start my 1st clinical rotation on Tuesday. We go 6hrs on Tues/Wed.

They put us in an oncology/hemotology unit.

It should be interesting..........

Cheryl

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm in retail. I love the work part of my job, just not most of the co-workers, environment, pay, or hours.
Nat - you're too much!

I love these threads - it's always so interesting!

DH and I work together and have since 1994. It's always been equity research, and he's been Chief (Market) Strategist or Chief Investment Officer at most of the firms where we've worked. I've been Sr. Equity Analyst, and I have a lot of licenses and a C.F.A. (Chartered Financial Analyst designation).

In 2007 we started our own Equity Research firm. We conduct, write, and publish research (stock recommendations) on publicly traded companies. Gary also publishes economic research. Our client base is institutional (the people who manage hedge funds and mutual funds). We additionally distribute our research through several larger broker-dealers, so our work reaches a wide audience.

We also do several different kinds of consulting work:

1) for our institutional money management clients - they basically outsource research to us sometimes;
2) for small companies in various capacities. We provide marketing and advice to them (their company, not their specific products); we also help them secure financing; and we work with a larger group to help create "market awareness" programs.
3) This isn't really consulting, but we do manage money (equity investments) for a few people.

Gary has some health issues, so doing our own thing but working with larger firms (as opposed to working for larger firms) is perfect for us. Besides... we were never good at being politically correct when we don't like a company or management LOL.

We've been doing a lot of consulting work lately, but we did just publish our first new initiation of coverage in a while yesterday morning. The stock was up 8% yesterday - and as of right now, it's up 9% today.

...before Gary's health issues, we started doing a lot of cat rescue and TNR in 2002. We co-founded and funded the start-up of a no-kill cat shelter, and we created a fund at the vet to help Seniors with cats in need. We don't volunteer for a shelter, and with Gary's health issues we're not as active as we were, but we do trap when necessary, still do TNR and still have a places to go to get kitties fostered and adopted out.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I work as the news editor of a weekly Catholic newspaper and have been on the staff for 9 1/2 years, so there must be something about it I like.

Seriously, I can't think of another job I'd rather be doing, at least for now. It can be a little stressful at times, but I work with a wonderful bunch of people, have a great boss, a lot of flexibility and find my work to be very rewarding. Can't beat that!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Currently I am an Industrial Engineering Technician for a foundry. It may sound fancy by trust me when I say

I just completed my Masters in Community Counseling and I am looking to get into the counseling field.

gfygrl71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just celebrated 17 yrs with my company (lol and I just turned 38 this yr..lmao), we used to preserve rare books to microfilm, now we are mostly scanning and publishing books onto digital. I am a Projest Coordinator for a few projects....

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm an in home care provider. I take care of elderly dementia patients so they can stay in their home safely. I love my job, my current client is 94 and the sweetest thing. I don't make a fortune at it, but the satisfaction is totally worth it. I get loves and cuddles and I even get to bring my Affenpincher with me sometimes.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im a graduate research assistant, which is a fancy way of saying PhD candidate in Medical Genetics. I do mostly cellular neuroscience and neurophamacology on a transgenic mouse model of childhood-onset morbid obesity. One of these days, Ill have my own lab, and will probably stay doing neurologic obesity research.