What do you do for hairballs?

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I haven't seen hairballs since I started giving my cats only wet food with added water and slippery elm bark powder mixed in. 
I did notice that since she has been back and on canned food daily it doesn't happen.

When she was at my daughter's dads house she was under stress and only on dry. She lost a lot of weight while there and is just now putting it back on.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Hartz hairball remedy. Robin loves it. An inch of the stuff a few days in a row, then a dab a couple times a week, keeps him "regulated". He also is fed hairball formula dry; I'm not sure how much it actually helps, but before I switched over he puked a couple times a week. The Hartz stuff also has fish oil in it, and it keeps his fur as soft as a rabbits (overdone, though, his fur can get greasy).

It's possible the canned food will help, but Hartz is only a few bucks.

As for fleas, I can't recommend Precor2000 enough. One can treated my 800 sf apartment twice. Can you afford flea treatment? I'd avoid Frontline. Revolution is good, but a lot of people like the Advantage stuff.

The other thing is, with fleas, you'll need to treat for tapeworms as well.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last Monday I upped Shy Guy to one capsule of EL per day. I thought all was good he hadnt thrown up all week/weekend.(which is good for him) Til lunch today. He threw up his wet food with just a small hairball.  I might have to bite the bullet and ask the vet for an Xray to see if he has a blockage.  I dont know if its slowly working its way out or what.