What do you do for a living?

e36

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My background is in Civil Engineering, I work for the RTA (Roads and Traffic Authority)designing roads and highways. Nowdays my projects are more Traffic engineering related.

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the maid, the cook, the caretaker of one bouncing busy 9 month old son, cattaker, litter cleaner, gardener and a sometimes nice wife
I 'retired' from the workforce which was wreaking havoc on my morals, worked at a medical insurance, investigating malpractice cases.

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I work as a C.P.A.'s Administrative Assistant. Another words a glorified flunky

I do all the prepration for the tax returns, input and organize for his review. My speciality is payrolls. I just got a promotion to where I go onsite and do payrolls for major companies in our area. It's a drag all of the travel time but the pay is real good

I am also going to night classes to finish my degree in Accounting, that way when the senior partner in the firm retires in the next 5 or so years I can become the junior partner in the firm.

kateang

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm...you guys are really holding an interesting life... i work for the national healthcare group in singapore as a data analyst assistant..to assist them in projects and verify their data..since now that the project is delayed, i get loads of time to surf the forum...

catsplay.com

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, this thread is so interesting! Thanks, Sam, for bumping it!

My college degree is in Accounting but I HATED that, so I ended up working as a computer programmer, then project manager, then VP and Internet Business development manager in banking for 18 years.

I have 2 children, and when my second child was born in 1995 I decided I simply HAD to find a way to be a stay at home mom with my children.

I used my programming background and translated it to web development, and created my own ecommerce websites, which include

Coolshopping.com
http://www.coolshopping.com

StarPhotographer.com
http://www.StarPhotographer.com

going on 3 years ago I was finally able to 'retire' and work from home full time -- AND be with my kids!

About a year and a half ago I decided to start another company/website, that focused on something that I love -- and

CatsPlay.com - Everything imaginable for cats
http://www.catsplay.com

was launched!

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will try to keep it short.

1st Job: 1985-1988 Noah's Ark Pet Center. Quit because I got a "promotion" in title only. No pay raise.

2nd Job 1988-1996 (on and off. Full-time to part-time, back to full, left for other jobs, came back, etc.) Pet Supply retail chain.Quit for the final time in 1996.

3rd Full-time job. Worked as an inspector for Enesco Corp. (distributor for Precious Moments figurines). Quit because I was getting paid half of the wages of the union workers and did twice the work! It was too physically demanding too. (I was considered office work therefore non-union and less pay).

4th Full-time Job. Was office help for a fluid/hydrolic/pneumatic parts distributor. Job was fun but the male owners of the company SUCKED!! They would insult and holler at us girls if we didn't meet their expectations on any given day. Very high stress job. I quit because I moved.

5th Full-time job Same thing for the exact same type of company but in a different state this time. Quit because we moved back to the midwest. I was on the verge of getting fired anyway, because they didn't like the fact that I wasn't able to do 4 different jobs effeciently enough.

6th Full-time Job worked as an inside salesperson for an animal distributor. I got fired because I made two costly errors and I was not liked by my supervisor. (I had worked under him years earlier at Noah's Ark. He was VERY anal and had a very nasty way of "correcting" people. He would basically "screw" with their minds and be subtly very insulting without actually calling someone stupid. He was VERY arrogant.)

7th Full-time Job. Worked in a retail store in a mall. Quit because it was too boring.

8th Full-time job. Worked as a cashier in a grocery store but got fired for forgetting to pay FIRST for a candy bar that I ate on my break. It didn't matter that other employees did this routinely as well, I got singled out because I got paid more then most of the others. Oh, Well! It worked out because it forced me to go back to college and finish a teaching degree that I started over 10 years ago. I got a 2 year degree in 1995 and now I am one year away from completing a Bachelor's degree in Education with a Library Media Minor degree.

CURRENT JOB: School and I also own my own pet-sitting business. I absolutely love it! My clients are happy, their pets love me, and best of all I don't have a whiny male boss exerting his authority over me. I cannot believe how many male bosses I had that expected me to drop everything I was doing and accept interruptions from my tasks without complaint AND be efficient about stopping and starting multi-tasks, AND take HARSH criticsm without batting an eye. I have YET to see a male boss allow HIMSELF to be interrupted and handle multi-tasking as patiently and effeciently as the men expect the women to do! As a result, I have NO respect for male authority. They all want women to take what they cannot take themselves! They are loud, domineering, and whiners. I love working for myself, and if I become a teacher, I basically will have the classroom to myself. IF I work for a male principal at least he won't be sitting in my classroom with me!

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
I work for a major cargo airline. What do I do? I work with the aircraft mechanics and make sure they go through all their training, assist with the hiring and firing
, alot of paperwork etc.
I have one son who just grad college and 1 daughter just started college and two step children just started living with us (two of my husbands children).
A year ago we had no animals, now we have 5 cats and one dog

A year ago children grown and on their own, now 2 more children
due to their mother neglecting them and leaving them days at a time alone
. But everything is coming together and we are working through it.
Clara

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am looking forward to just teaching English as a Second Language this year. Last school year, I taught ESL and Spanish. It was way to much to prepare for, and my schedule was different from the rest of the teachers on my team.

I like ESL, I really feel like I can accomplish something. I have small groups of students, usually 6-10 at a time, and I get to know them. Some of my beginner students who speak Spanish come to me with school papers they don't understand, since I speak Spanish too. They also would stop by just to chat. They liked having someone who understood them and that they could talk to.

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joyce, I really admire your strength and determination in finishing your degree.

Catlover67, Teaching is a lot of freedom and control, but there is a focus on assessment testing, especially since the No Child Left Behind Act. Most of the emphasis comes in the form of stressing reading and math to the exclusion of science and social studies, at least where I work. Still, it is more freedom than most jobs, as long as you like spending time with kids.

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an Academic Assistant and Program Assistant for a Cancer Center. I support 3 oncologists and a genetics counselor for the Familial Cancer Program.

hermoine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the last 18+ years I was a respiratory therapist. Last year, I had had enough (burnout) and retired. I was only able to do this because my husband died in 98 and I was able to draw on his social security. I don't know how much longer I could have gone on, things were changing so rapidly and I had been out of the loop as it was, for 5+ years. We had merged 2 hospitals and I worked at the mostly outpatient site. Did mostly phlebotomy and ekgs. Not much of my original training. You get very rusty when you don't use it.

Have been retired for a little or a year now. Need a part time job just to get out and about. I live in the country and never see many people unless I drive 40 miles to town where I worked.

Now I take care of 5 acres of land, a house 2 dogs and 2 cats and me. A full time job in itself as I am over 60 and can't stay with it for too long at a time. I keep trying tho. Can't give up or I will be a confirmed couch potato....lol

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
said the same thing. It is a GOOD thing I enjoy children. I also had a very lousy elemtary school experience and I want to make sure that my students don't abuse each other socially, emotionally, and verbally like I was. I would go home crying almost every day in grades 4th-6th because of the cruelty I endured from the other students. I want to make a difference in children today. As far as the emphasis on Math and Reading, Well... I must admit when it comes to mathematics I am no brain surgeon. In fact I really dislike math. I ALWAYS have done poorly at it and I am getting by in my college course with C's. Every other subject though I get mostly A's and a couple of B's. I have almost a straight A average right now. I really excel at reading and look forward to teaching children how to read.

daisy30uk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What an interesting thread. I have really enjoyed reading through all the various things that people do.

I just got promoted to Senior Administrative Officer at one of the city's University's. I am responsible for producing all the University's certificates and awards, handle appeals against examining board decisions and provide interpretations of the University's Rules and Regulations for whoever may need them! It's much more fun than it sounds!

In the past I have been anything from a bar maid to a checkout operator, credit controller to technical support section head.

And I have to agree with all those who have said that no-one should be ashamed or embarassed about what they do. If you are out working, earning a living, you are making a contribution.