What do you call them????

jlutgendorf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think most people would use the term stray or "wild" in regards to a cat that wouldn't let them pet or approach them.

But my aunt used to take care of a group of ferals that lived behind her house so I knew that term already.

Where I live currently, there are strays (well only one and she has a new home!) and then there are "those damn cats that live with the neighbor behind us!" Seriously, this neighbor has at least 6 or 7 cats who seem to think our yard is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Which is fine, except when they chase off our cats!

~Julia

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked other because to me, it just depends.
The proper defination I believe of a feral is a cat that was born in the wild.
The defination of a stray is a cat that was once a pet that reverted to living in the wild to survive. Isis and Luna are former ferals, they were very hard to work with when we first brought them in. They were terrified of everyone and everything and would try and get out at every opportunity. But with lots of love and patience, they've become loving house cats. Still skittish and fearful of anyone but Brad and I, but they are slowly getting over that too. I've seen strays around here and they are nothing like Isis and Luna were. They will let you approach them, but will run if you try and pick them up. I wish I could convert all the stupid people in the world to understand that pets are something to throw away at your convience, they are your responsibility for their lives.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call cats that live on the streets strays, but if they are living in like big groups in the country, I call them feral or wild, because no one has tamed or domesticated them.