What do you All think of Canidae Pet Food?

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am looking to switch my cats and dogs to Canidae pet food. I heard good things about them and that they don't use by product. Is it safe to feed them this food? I currently feed Nutra all my animals and am very concerned with all this going on. I have seen some posts here that some of you feed this food. Please any advice on what's best to feed my 4 cats and two dogs.

Thanks in advance.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutra???

do you mean Nutro or Natura>>??

I like the ingrediants for the most part but havent had success with my own animals

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Canidae is very good for dogs and felidae is very good for cats
I just switched my cats to Felidae so in about a month I can expect some good results. I know Canidae is one of the less expensive dog foods and I think Felidae is pretty cheap too but still very good. There are a few formulas so you have to make sure your pets don't have allergies to meats. If they do then go with the chicken and rice formula (unless they are allergic to chicken) since it only has one meat source. I think it is one of the best foods.

pamalajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am switching my cats from Nutro dry to Felidae dry chicken and rice formula. I am feeding them about 1/4 of the Felidae and 3/4 of the Nutro and will continue to increase the amount of the Felidae avery day. They seem to be tolerating it well. The only criticism is that the size of the kibble is small compared to the large football shaped Nutro. http://canidae.com/cats/chicken_and_rice/dry.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you guys think this food is safe from recall? From what I have red it should be but I wanted to confirm. Also if it's not Cadidae what else is good to feed that most likely not going to be part of recall?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right now the only way to be safe is not to feed commericial food.. BUT that is not feasible for all ... NO DRY ( cept for SDM/D) have recalled ... Make sure there is NO WHEAT GLUTEN in the dry and you are "safe"

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use both the Felidae Chicken and Rice and the Canidae for all life stages (both dry) and have been very pleased with the results! They have don't eat as much of it as the "cheaper" brands, so it is really isn't much more $ at all than what I was feeding, and their coats are shiner and softer. I think that all we can do is try to avoid the wheat gluten, and possibly wheat. I just don't know what else to do. My cats are mostly seniors, and my dog has a heart condition, so I don't want to go messing around with their nutrition...

Here's something I found and posted in another thread:

Canidae (verified by company 3/28/07)

Brands include Canidae and Felidae
No products made by Menu Foods
All ingredients are grown in the US and are also processed here.
No wheat gluten is used in their products.
All products are free of corn, wheat, soy and all grain fractions

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I currently feed Chicken Soup and was considering switching to Felidae, but looking at the percentages, was a little concerned about the difference in the fiber content. Chicken Soup is 4% and Felidae is only 2.5%.

My two youngest couldn't handle Wellness kitten or the Natural Balance, but the protein was higher in those foods, also. Both foods gave them diarrhea something horrible....and it was a slow switch ( two weeks.)

I"m wondering if they could handle the Felidae.

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bazkitty

I currently feed Chicken Soup and was considering switching to Felidae, but looking at the percentages, was a little concerned about the difference in the fiber content. Chicken Soup is 4% and Felidae is only 2.5%.

My two youngest couldn't handle Wellness kitten or the Natural Balance, but the protein was higher in those foods, also. Both foods gave them diarrhea something horrible....and it was a slow switch ( two weeks.)

I"m wondering if they could handle the Felidae.
I just picked up Felidae and the lady at the store was saying it's easier to handle for kittens and must easier to switch to. I have looked at other Natural foods at the store and decided to try Felidae. I just gave it to them and they seem to like it. I had to take Marbles to the vet because he throw up again after he had his food. They didn't find anything sent him home with some meds and told me to stop giving him Nutra.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The Felidae dry seems to be easily accepted by most cats, but the wet has a strange texture (a very mushy/wet patÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]), so a lot of cats won't even try it, IME. Ingredient-wise, it's a good food.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats liked the wet and dry. I don't feed the dry because I don't like to give any dry food, but they did well on both. The only reason I switched away from Merrick, Felidae, and Wellness was to get everyone on the same food I'm giving my sensitive tummy boy for simplicity's sake....not because I didn't like the food. It was NOT appropriate for my IBD cat, however.

shiraz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got my 5 cats on Felidae Chn and Rice and they all love it. Their coats are really nice and soft now, definitely a noticable difference from before, and they really don't eat half as much as they used to (except for my tubby Tazz, who eats all the time
). They also eat the wet Chn and Rice, and they'll all eat it. It seems to be the only wet food I can convince them to eat lol. They all stick up their noses at all the other brands I've tried, so I gave up on them

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitties get Felidae dry and are also getting Felidae wet at the moment, and they love it. Of course they're not fussy and will eat anything...

I always look very carefully at the ingredient list of what I'm feeding the kitties (but am no expert), and I like Felidae, so I'm happy feeding them that.

For wet, I alternate between premium brands with a good meat source as the first main ingredient, no yucky fillers, preferably all natural products, and NO WHEAT GLUTEN!!!!

gizzie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is another good food that I bought for my kittens. www.naturapet.com. This is all natural and I bought cans to alternate between Canidae as they only make one kind of food and my kittens like be alternated otherwise they get board with it and don't want to eat it. The lady at the store said it was very good food and it's been around for over 30 years. They only make natural food and it's made out of the same stuff we eat. My kittens seem to like their new food so I am crossing my fingers everything looks good and they continue liking it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gizzie

Here is another good food that I bought for my kittens. www.naturapet.com. This is all natural and I bought cans to alternate between Canidae as they only make one kind of food and my kittens like be alternated otherwise they get board with it and don't want to eat it. The lady at the store said it was very good food and it's been around for over 30 years. They only make natural food and it's made out of the same stuff we eat. My kittens seem to like their new food so I am crossing my fingers everything looks good and they continue liking it.
See my other post... I wont be using Natura for quite a while ....

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed Felidae and 3 of my 4 house cats are doing great on it. One of my boys just recently got crystals though (after eating Felidae for over a year). I am still giving it to the other 3 but I have added some canned Felidae to their daily diet now to hopefully prevent any more crystal issues. I'm still working on switching my crystal kitty to raw.

As a side note...I know many dog owners that are in love with Canidae!