What do ya'll think about movie sequels?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheesh, sorry to be so talkative, but since no one else has mentioned them, I have to bring up the Toy Story movies! I would never have believed the sequel could beat the wonderful, wonderful original -- but I think I actually like Toy Story II even better! Both just brilliant...

Can you tell I love movies?

draquiden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it all depends on the series... I'm a horror flick kinda guy, Friday the 13th (got worse IMO), Halloween (liked them all except for Halloween 2, had absolutely NOTHING to do with the series), The Grudge [Ju-on] has to be the scariest horror flick I've ever seen...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

P.S. -- I agree that Tom Hanks, much as I adore him, was not the best choice... I might've gone with John Cusack, I think. (Who would you all have chosen?) But I really admired the way he enhanced the character with his own improvs, bringing some of himself to it. And his character gets to have a lot more fun in Angels & Demons -- I think people will like him a lot better this time!
I was thinking John Cusack too or someone more suave...I felt like Tom Hanks was the wrong choice as well and to me, it was pretty distracting, but yes Tom Hanks is back.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few haven't been to bad but as a rule I don't particularly like them. Most of the time I find if I really liked the first the second is usually a let down.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the sequels are only as good if they don't start changing the characters around. If you change actors for the same character it just takes something away. I feel that way about sitcoms too. If an actor doesn't want to participate anymore, you have to lose the whole character, you can't just replace them.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

Yeah.... Disney sequels.. big nono.
I HATE Disney remakes, they are never as good as the 1st.

As for other movie sequals, they usually aren't as good as the first, unforunately
I like them tho when they keep the original cast- like Oceans 11 and 12, they were both good, but as always, the 1st was MUCH better!

ilovemykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
most sequals suck but if i like the first one i am willing to watch the second and there are the odd sequals and trilogys that are awsome, namely lord of the rings and pirates of the caribbean. i like to see how the characters have gone on with there life and see how the writers and producers and directors develop the charaters and such.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Generally I don't even bother watching sequels unless it makes the big screen again, and I liked the first one.

Off the top of my head, I can say I loved Bridget Jones and Oceans Twelve. I'm really looking forward to Ocean's Thirteen. I was actually kind of sad when they did a sequel to Pirates of the Carribean because I like the cute simple cheesy love story it began with. Now I'm tainted by the "other man" issue that came up. Everyone justifies it because it's Johnny Depp vs. Orlando Bloom, but Orlando Bloom is cute and young, and he did great in his role.

Regarding Disney sequels, most adults don't like them at all. I don't watch the Disney sequels unless I'm cornered into a room by my little cousins who love them. In fact most little girls love those silly sequels, don't ask me why. And that's the market Disney is appealing to when they make them. For their sequels, they rarely use the same budget, voices, artists, etc. because kids don't really know the difference.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Movie sequals tend to not live up to their hype, especially when you get into 3 or more sequals to the original.

As much as I like Johnny Depp and Pirrates of the Carribbean, I didn't find the second movie to be as good as the first. The 3rd one is coming out in May and I'm not even excited about it.

The only 3 related movies that I've seen in the last 10 years that have worked were the Lord of the Rings movies. But then again none of them were sequals, they were 3 movies telling one story.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

Yea, I liked the lion king two, but not as good.

I know that there is a prequel(sp?) coming out in January for The DaVinci Code, but I forget right now what it's called...

Do you think you'll see it?
Not if Tom Hanks is in it. He stunk in that movie.