What do we call Theo? besides an adorable domestic short hair?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Biancavd

Maybe Theo has a little magic color kitty in him, but instead of that beautiful golden glow, he has a white haze.  I am guessing the new photos would make him something like a ticked mackerel tabby with wite?  I never really knew there were so many ways to decribe a cat!  Anyway, he is still cute as a bugs ear.  Huge eyes filled with wonder and curiosity, he is not afraid of anything.  Tatiana has started playing with him, but Snowy hates him and if he goes anywhere near her, she growls, hisses, and has even attemted to swipe at him, and he doesn't care.  He still runs right up and hisses right back at her arching his back and doing his little sideways spider walk.  We are trying to break him of that because we don't want Snowy to hurt him, and I don't think Theo understands that she is deaf and doesn't hear him coming... if he grabs her tail... all bets are off. He has a couple black spots on his nose that brings out his black stripes, and the white ticking (if thats what its called) is accented by his pretty, er I mean, handsome white mask.  Here he is at 7 weeks.

He's a scamp. 

Last edited by a moderator:

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ha Ha, and I think Snowy taught him to growl this weekend. I had not heard him growl before she was growling at him, and then a few minutes later, he was out growling at his shadow... silly cat.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in love with that little fuzz butt :D

Theadorable [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
he is precious. there is nothing in the world cuter than a kitten.  

I went to Petco on Saturday and they had a local shelter there with kittens for adoption. It took every bit of will power I had to not go home with one. I have 3 cats and a dog. That's good for now. 

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He (it) goes for his first vet appointment tomorrow... we think he is a boy, the vet will know for sure.  If it does turn out to be a girl, she is not very ladylike.  :D

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like a girl to me too.  if you can get a picture of him/her on their back it is a little easier to see - not that kittens co-operate and like to stay still long enough for any of that kind of nonsense.

The easiest way to sex them is to look for a colon or a semi-colon - ; or :  Two circular openings (usually closer together but we are talking very smell measurements here) is a boy.  A semi colon, with a dot for the rectum and a small slit for the vagina is a girl.

Did you end up keeping momma?

We took in a mom and her 5 newborn babies in June.  We were finally able to find mom a home but it was pure luck - no one wants the adults :(

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Momma just went in to get spayed today.  Our hopes were to rehome her, but no one is showing any interest in either momma or baby.  The shelters are full of cats and kittens, craig's list is full of free cats and kittens... someone here recommended we go on pet finder to help locate them a home, but when I went on petfinder there is no place to post an add, just to view them.  I asked the pet adoption people at petsmart if they used petfinder and they said there is a waiting list to list pets with them.  Even though we are paying for her spay, shots, food, etc. We don't want to turn her over to a shelter because they are all full of disease here.  If you go in the cats are free roam, but there are too many cats in such small spaces, and the boxes are always covered in runny poop and the cats are just dying for affection... most of them are sneezing or snotting, matted eyes, etc. or "running from both ends" so to speak.  We can't afford to keep her.  Our apartment is too small for so many cats, and food and litter are about al we can afford.  If you start looking at vet care for all these cats... its too much for us.

I don't know if my daughter has regrets about trying to help her, but I am sorry I let her bring her into the home.   Its not so much that I am attached, though I am, its that after the time and work we have put into her,  I think Buttercup likes having a human... but it pretty much seems like our best option is to just turn her back out on her own.  TNR.  I just don't think you are supposed to keep t hem inside for 8-10 weeks before you spay and release.  ITs not fair to Theo either, who was born inside, so suddenly be out in the cold.

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can only post on Petfinder if you are a rescue or shelter, the general public can't post.  You would have to find a rescue to do a courtesy post (and that isn't always easy).

Please don't turn her back out onto the street.  TNR is for ferals, she is not feral. 

I completely understand your frustration, I really do.  We went through the same thing with our momma and her 5 babies and I wasn't sure what we were going to do.  Our mom was a diluted calico too.

Have you posted her on facebook and asked your friends to share?  And has your daughter?  Where are you located?  Some humane societies offer a facilitated adoption program (where you keep her with you but they post about her).

Have you asked your vet if they can post her on their webpage?

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its my daughter cat, and she did put a post on craig's list.  I have a posted pictures and updates on Buttercup Theo on my work's electronic bulletin board, and she has put feeler's out at her work as well.

Our experience with the Shelter's here have not been good.  I told my daughter she needs to get the cat listed with one of the Shelters, but we ended up adopting resident cat number 1 because of the poor vet care she was receiving from the Shelter vet.  When Theo was born, he was the only baby, and we felt like she was not done delivering, yet no more babies came so my daughter took her to an emergency vet.  She sat in the waiting room for 4 hours with this poor terrified momma cat and little baby new born Theo.  My daughter works overnights, so she took her in when she got off work, and stayed there till noon... she was dead tired, it was a bad situation all around.  They kept taking people who came in after her, and they would not take her and Buttercup back.  She would ask them about it and they would tell her they would get to her.  She finally told them she was just going to leave and they were like, fine, we can take you back and the vet can see you as soon as possible and she was like just forget it.

So, as I said, we really think Buttercup stands a better chance of finding her own home than she stands getting turned into one of the Shelters around here.  In order for them to  list her, I think we would have to surrender her, and then foster.  We don't want to foster.  We did want to foster, but with the cat we adopted, they would not treat her.  We picked her up on Saturday.  They were closed on Sunday.  We had her to the vet on Monday morning when they opened and they gave her medicine... but the medicine didn't do any good.  When we took her back for her 7 day recheck, the vet had no knowledge of treating the cat and they could not located any record of her having been sheltered there.  They were nasty with my daughter about the cats eye infection and the condition of her coat when we took her in to be treated.   (When she was taken in by the shelter they said she had mange really bad and had lost most of her fur and was practically dead... we have sense learned she is allergic to fleas I am pretty sure that was the reason) and they could not  locate any record of the cat.  .  Anyway, we took her to our own vet a) because they were closer b) we get better care - and we were paying for it.  Our vet contacted the shelter to get her medical records  and the shelter was incredibly nasty with our vet and advised hiim he could not treat Snowy, but that we had to return her to them which we refused to do.

At the pet adoption events they have here, the often have identifying tags on the cages that belong to a different animal than the one in the cage.  Buttercup has gotten better with humans, but she is still not good with other animals, and we don't think she would do well if we just turned over.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, and we have not asked the vet about posting her... maybe when we pick her up tomorrow we can find out.  He does have a couple pets in his office.  I live in a suberb of Kansas City... the area where I live I think the people have designer pets and just don't want our poor little calico.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Theo just came from the vet who confirmed that he is a healthy bouncy baby boy... weighed in at 2.5 lbs, which kind of suprised me cuz he looks like such a little runt.  Momma is doing fine following her surgery and she weighed in at 8.08 lbs, and I was guessing her to be at least 10.5.  Its not that she is so big, but she she so solid and heavy when we pick her up.  and Theo feels like he weighs  next to nothing. Just glad they are healthy.  :D

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its hard to get a good picture of Theo. Most of his pics are cute, but I wish I could capture what color he is... but it depends on how he lays and how the light hits him.  Sometimes his pattern stands out and others it looks like its is fading out into more of a solid color cat.  If he is in the sun, you can still see some orangish color in his undercoat, and we not longer really get the whitish haze around him.  The white patch on his face also seems to be getting smaller. anyway, here is a current photo of a little Theo.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Question about Theo trying to nurse from one of the resident cats.  He is weaned.  His mom has been spayed. He splits time with his mom and with the resident cats.  Mom is still locked away in the back half of the apartment as the resident cats and her cannot get along yet.  Theo and Tati are very close and play very well together.  The other night I caught Theo worming up to Tati's belly like he was looking for a nipple and Tati just stretched out and let him.  Tati is fixed and has never had a litter, and while they play together a lot, they do not cuddle together for naps or anything.  Is this normal behavior?

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
awww... they are prescious.