What Do Kitten/very Active Cat Owners Do For Christmas Tree Lighting?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My old cats never bothered with the tree lights, but I'm wondering if our 5 month old kitten might be likely to try to chew light cords/strands on the tree. I've read the Cats and Christmas article but didn't see any mention of lights.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We switched to cordless Christmas tree lights years ago. They're in the shape of candles, use AA batteries, and are turned on and off by remote control.

Our last cat managed to wreck two strings of lights in one day his first Christmas, so we gave up on that type of lights.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't use lights, kit's safety comes first. Bored cats do terrible things with shiny stuff. I did cover lots of cardboard shapes with aluminum foil, leave it a little crinkly and it catches the light nicely.

Those mylar cat ball toys make really nice decorations. I wouldn't let a cat play with them for an extended period since I understand the dye on them comes off on cats. But for an hour or two, yes, you'd have time to catch them.

I admit I miss lights and tinsel. I also miss high heels, but life changes things. ;)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is going to be our first year with a tree since getting the boys monsters. They can get obsessed with wires. I'm planning on using battery-powered LED lights (not enough current to do much damage), and using a cloth to coat the wires in anti chew spray.....then crossing everything and hoping that static wires won't be enticing for long :crossfingers::paranoid::disturbed: