What do I do with Trout when I go away??

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Well, I looked up petsitting in the phonebook and found a bunch of different ones..So what questions should I ask when I call? Can they actually have licenses?
All of the good ones around here say "licensed, bonded and insured". I'm not 100% sure what that means, but you for sure want to make sure they have insurance I would think.

I'd also make sure the person has a back up plan in case they are sick or have an emergency and that they're willing to come a) at the same time of day each day and b) are willing to get Trout to the vet in an emergency. Have them come over once before so that you can physically show them everything. Most will also offer to get your mail and generally make it look like someone's been home.

butterflyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I co-owned a pet sitting business with my Mother which she still owns and runs down in Florida for almost 4 years. Make sure it isn't a fly by night kind of deal. Any professional pet sitter is and should be bonded and insured. Make sure you give the pet sitter plenty of advance notice, if you are going away in April I believe you said, that is plenty of time.

A professional pet sitter will come to your home for an initial interview. This is normal and you want to know who is going to be in your home. You want to see how your animal reacts to them as well. They should also have a list of references on hand. They will also have you sign a contract more than likely, which is standard. I can give you a few pointers to help you along in your decision.

First off, choose someone who either has no employees or it is family owned and operated if at all possible. This is how my Mother and I run the company and we take huge pride in the fact we are animal lovers and we will always know that no funny business will be going on in your home. You take a risk with hiring employees, and being in someone elses home is something we take seriously. I have heard of some horror stories which I won't go into detail on here to scare you off, but lets just say that if you need to interview several people until you feel comfortable with one, then do it.

Don't get overly paranoid about hiring a pet sitter. For most of us, this is our fulltime job! We do it with pride because we love what we do. Pet sitters don't snoop through your house, they do their job and spend time with your animals. We can also perform several other tasks like bringing in your mail, watering your plants, rotating blinds and turning lights on and off so people won't suspect you are not home. My Mother has several clients she actually does overnights for in their homes!

A pet sitter will usually spend 30 minutes or more visiting and playing with your animal. For cats this can sometimes mean just sitting on the couch with them watching the TV and petting them, so make sure that you let the sitter know your cats routines. Leave detailed instructions written out on paper for your sitter and all the treats, litter, food, dishes etc that your cat will use during the time you are away. Even if your cat is very shy (which is common!) and the sitter won't even see him or her, it is a much better route than boarding an animal. Less stress and no chance of catching an illness.

Here is a website that can help you locate some petsitters in your area Pet Sitters International

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a PM, I am more than happy to discuss any concerns you might have if you choose to go this route for your baby.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I needed a catsitter, I called my vet for recommendations. The woman who now takes care of my cats (Judy) came over well before I had to leave, to meet Ivo (an only cat at the time). I took into account not only the references she provided and the fact that she was bonded, but also how Ivo took to her. And when I adopted Gypsy, Judy came by to meet her, too.

Before I left for Christmas, Judy had a family emergency that meant she would not be taking care of the girls the whole time. She brought over the woman who would be filling in for her, along with her references. I appreciated Judy's transparency about her situation, along with her willingness to introduce me and the girls to her replacement. Judy always leaves a note to tell me how the girls did, along with any potential problems. I've been nothing but happy with her care of the girls.

butterflyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okeefecl

Judy always leaves a note to tell me how the girls did, along with any potential problems. I've been nothing but happy with her care of the girls.
We always leave a "pet report card" after each and every visit, telling you what we did, what the pet did, if there were any accidents or unusual behaviour etc. It is not only nice for the pet owner to see when they get home, but is a great way for us to keep track of the animals we sit for as we keep a final copy of it after each job is over.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Butterflyy

We always leave a "pet report card" after each and every visit, telling you what we did, what the pet did, if there were any accidents or unusual behaviour etc. It is not only nice for the pet owner to see when they get home, but is a great way for us to keep track of the animals we sit for as we keep a final copy of it after each job is over.
Yep, our sitter does that. Debbie's great. She and Fawn are getting along great guns, and the last couple of times, Cindy was being more visible, more interested in coming out for treats, and not hiding the whole time. Suzy still hasn't showed her face, and given her reclusive nature with EVERYONE, if Debbie ever sees her that will be a miracle.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask my vet if they knew someone who did stuff like that, and if that didn't work out, I would definately ask my ex. You know that he loves Trout and he would take good care of her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have emailed the ex..Lets keep our fingers crossed that he says yes

There is a good chance he might not because he has a problem seeing me still..he was still very much in love when I broke up with him. I hope he doesn't let that affect his decision to help me out.