What did you want to be when you we a kid?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wanted to be a vet tech or a pediatrician.
but now I am an animal shelter technician and I couldn't have a more perfect job than working with homeless animals.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vividly remember being in the second grade and saying I wanted to play for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, and then I found out I was bad at sports.
I'm in my senior year of high school and I still have no idea what to do when I graduate.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to be an archaeologist - doing field work, not teaching.
Of course that would have been impossible for me unless I wanted to work in northern climates. I've been heat intolerant since I was 15.

Originally Posted by Marianjela

7th grade biology and a rude crude lab partner ruined that dream for me.
I always loved biology labs. Especially fun was the guys who tried to act like they were all cool yet would turn green and refuse to cut anything themselves because they were too grossed out.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

My son has the best dream. He used to want to be Barney when he grows up, but now he wants to be Spiderman!

My oldest son wants to be a police officer or a mechanic

My youngest son (6yrs old) told his teacher about 2 weeks ago that he wants to be..... ready for this one?........ An entomologist!

And he can even tell you what they do!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I vividly remember being in the second grade and saying I wanted to play for the Saskatchewan Roughriders, and then I found out I was bad at sports.
I'm in my senior year of high school and I still have no idea what to do when I graduate.
You know what I'm 34, almost have my masters degree, and I'm still not 100% on what I want to do. I enjoy counseling, but it is very hard to make a living doing fee for service work. When the clients don't show I don't get paid. I may try to do some AODA counseling, or some sort of HR work.

SO don't worry you've got plenty of time.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, what a great question! Some people's answers were really funny.

When I was in elementary and middle school, I wanted to be an animator and work for Disney on films and cartoons. Sometime during seventh or eighth grade, I found out that animators basically spend all of their time drawing the same thing over and over and over, just in slightly different poses, so I changed my mind!

Throughout high school, I wanted to become an illustrator and do book covers and illustrate children's books and so on. I went to college right out of high school to study fine art and graphic design and become an illustrator, but a lot of events in my personal life caused me to muck up and drop out of school. A year later I went back to art school again (at a different school), and different personal events caused the same thing to happen.

After screwing up in school so badly twice in a row, I stopped going for a few years. Not so long ago, I went back and majored in Computer Science. I am still going to school for it, and maybe this time it will work out. I am doing great in school, maybe because I am more mature and my family life is so much more stable.
I am actually a web designer right now, so I did end up in graphic design. I kind of wish I would have finished art school, but who knows if it would work out!

I hope to be an analyst, a higher level designer, or something along those lines when I am done. Or maybe I will follow in Butzie's footsteps and get my Masters in IT Management.

DH wanted to own his own comic book store through most of his youth.
If there was a market around here for it, I bet he still would. Instead, he is going to school to become a CPA. Tough stuff.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always wanted to be a professional musician and music teacher. In fact I thought I would be a professional pianist.

Didn't work out that way....I took up the flute and piccolo in middle school and ended up going pro on the woodwinds. ha ha so I guess I am doing what i always wanted to do just on different instruments.

I do teach piano in addition to flute and piccolo. So in addition to do professional gigs I also have large private music instruction business. (make my own hours yay!!) AND because I LOVE being super busy...I also teach High School Orchestra (I have discovered in the last 3 years that I LOVE Conducting) and right now I'm pursuing my masters in music education.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 6, I wanted to be a harem girl, because I liked the outfits.

Then around 10, I started watching "The Avengers" (the late-1960s British series with Diana Rigg and Patrick MacNee), and decided to be a spy. But I hate guns, so that was out.

My father got me interested in astronomy and physics and meteorology and archaeology, and I would have loved to pursue those -- but I didn't know where to begin, or what kind of jobs existed in those fields.

In high school, I wanted to be a photojournalist, but I didn't want to ask my parents for a camera.

And I would have loved to get a law degree and become a crusader for human rights -- but again, too big a financial investment.

So with all those eliminated... gosh, it looks like the harem-girl thing is my best bet!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
1. A librarian.
2. Teacher (art or languages).
3. Museum curator.
4. Wife and Mom/housewife.
5. Believe it or not, a school bus driver--I used to play this--I thought shifting gears was sooo cool! (Though I do hope my temper would be a lot better that the nasty bat we had!)

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in high school, I wanted to be a professional pianist......am good, but not that good. Dropped out of college 3/4 of the way to an Accounting degree (hate it, hate it, hate it!). Have been basically self employed since I was 21, first in a shoe store and now as a caterer. Truthfully? I'd still love to be a professional musician on tour or a truck driver!

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always wanted to be a nature photographer. Somewhere tropical, rain forresty. (yes, I invent words as a write) Dont know if I could deal with the big A** bugs though, not a bug fan, at least not ones that are big enough that they require a zip code.
Other than that, a writer, I am the struggling artist type, lol. I have wanted to write a childrens book for some time now, but I really want to write a novel. Maybe it will happen.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I wanted to be a vet. I am not a vet. I'm an engineering tech, & at the beginning of my career of counseling. I decided not to be a vet when I realized that it requires the ability to emotionally separate from the animals. I could never look at a young healthy animal & put it down because the owner just didn't want it anymore. Heck I'm not sure I could put down an old sick animal. Not to mention the responsibility of putting an animal under for surgery. Yeah, I'm just not cut out to be a vet.
Same with me. I wanted to be a vet from the time I was 4. Then I too realized I would be way too attached to the animals and would cry whenever one needed to be put down. Just reading stories in the Rainbow Bridge forum get to me!

Now I'm a lab technician at an environmental chemistry lab.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never really aspired to be anything when I was a kid. I was too busy trying to be a kid until about age 12 years.

When I was a teenager I wanted to be a nuclear physicist, but found out that I sucked in physics!!

I'm currently a nurse, but what I really aspire to be is a paid artist or a gallery owner.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to be an author and a photographer. I dont really have an imagination so I havent made any progress in the writing department, but I have had a few pictures published in magazines. Its just a hobby though, I havent really figured out what I want to do. I'd have liked to be a vet tech but I could never put an animal to sleep, and I cant deal with debt so spending 100k in college and then spending the next 15 years trying to pay it off, never gonna happen.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted to be a train engineer. The power & noise of the big freight trains has always fascinated me, but then again, I was never a normal little girl!