What did you want to be when you grew up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

What would you really like to do? Why don't you go for it?! we only live once!
It's paying the mortgage that's the problem! I'd love to work with animals, either at a vet practice (although it would break my heart to put any animal to sleep), or at a cat sanctuary. Unfortunately I can't live on the money it would pay, so I'm kind of stuck in accountancy. It's not a bad job at all, but it just doesn't involve any furry creatures!

I'm playing around with the idea of doing a degree with the open university, something interesting like psychology, and see where that could lead me.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purity

It's paying the mortgage that's the problem! I'd love to work with animals, either at a vet practice (although it would break my heart to put any animal to sleep), or at a cat sanctuary. Unfortunately I can't live on the money it would pay, so I'm kind of stuck in accountancy. It's not a bad job at all, but it just doesn't involve any furry creatures!

I'm playing around with the idea of doing a degree with the open university, something interesting like psychology, and see where that could lead me.
It really is such a shame that money always rears it's ugly head, isn't it?!

Your idea of Open University sounds a great idea! you just never know where you could end up!
I say go for it! Psychology is certainly very interesting!

luvmysphynx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For most of my childhood, I wanted to be a astronaut.
I ended up being a Debt Collections/Loss Prevention Manager. LOL, who woulda thunk!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

It really is such a shame that money always rears it's ugly head, isn't it?!

Your idea of Open University sounds a great idea! you just never know where you could end up!
I say go for it! Psychology is certainly very interesting!
That's what I thought, and if I don't get a job in the field, at least it will help me understand people better!!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purity

That's what I thought, and if I don't get a job in the field, at least it will help me understand people better!!
I wish you lots of luck with it! It'll also open up other opportunities for you too....and understanding people better is always a good thing!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny how many of us wanted to be marine biologists
. I really wanted to work with manatees.
I also wanted to be a Disney animator and, most of all, I wanted to be a prosecutor (still kinda do).

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted to be an artist and a mechanic..

As far as that goes, I'm a graphic Designer, and I fix my car when it's broken. LOL

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see, things I wanted to be when I was really young: Ballerina, model, veterinarian. I also thought that vets just got to pet the cute animals and it was when I discovered the part about ahving to put htem to sleep or seeing them bleed that I decided that field wasn't for me.

In high school I was convinced I'd be a television news anchor. I even started out college in the Radio/TV program. It didn't take me long to realize that wasn't my cup of tea and at the beginning of my sophomore year I switched to my current major!

I'll be graduating in December with my B.Sc. in Psychology and will be starting a master's program (somewhere, haven't heard yet) in Mental Health Counseling in the spring. My dream is to own my own practice. I plan to continue on to get my PhD in Counselor Education once I'm through with the master's.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if that's where I actually end up! I really love psychology though and am very happy in my choice to study it.

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am kind of embarrassed to say it but I grew up wanting to make loads of money and did not really think about the specific job per se. And I the only one?

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started out wanting to be a teacher, then a pediatrician, then a police officer, the list goes on and on... At one point I also thought it would be fun to drive a city bus and meet all the interesting people. It was in high school, when I started working for the school paper and took a journalism class, that I realized I wanted to be a writer. After spending time in the Army, working as a restaurant manager, then as a claims adjuster, I'm finally doing what I always dreamed of (sort of). I write for a weekly newspaper, but I'd love to write a book someday - probably a mystery, and it would have to feature a cat or two.