What did you have when you were young?

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I've only had chicken pox- my mom thought i was naturally immune to it cause I was exposed to it a lot when I was young and never caught it- I ended up getting it when I was 12 and it was awful!
Ditto, on that. Our mom used to try to take us to visit every kid who got it. We didn't get successfully exposed until I was 12. The older you are the worse you got it. I was a very mature 12 and got it real bad. It was right around Xmas too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had chicken pox and a lot of ear infections. I remember being excited when I got the chicken pox because my Mom and Aunt made a big deal over it. My Aunt even took me to the dollar store and loaded me up on cheap new toys.

I also had allergies and a heart murmur as a child.

Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

You're probably thinking of the smallpox vaccine scar. I have one, and my parents both have it. I think it was mainly given in the left upper arm, and usually leaves a pit like scar. The World Health Organization said that smallpox had been eradicated in 1977, so they no longer routinely vaccinate for it. I think some healthcare people and armed services still can opt to receive it though. Now, they say that some of the terrorist countries have smallpox in their biologic weapons.
DH got out of the military in 2006 and the small pox vaccine was mandatory for him; as was anthrax and all that. It left a nasty scab and now the scar everyone mentioned.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had chicken pox when I was still in diapers. My mom says I was around 11 months and it was in the fall. I can actually remember having it (if my memory serves correctly) and I always guessed it was near Christmas.

I had a few earaches/infections and some bad cases of the flu over the years. In fourth grade, near the beginning of the year, I got terribly sick (barfing 24/7, major fevers) and hallucinations to top it off.
I think I might have had a UTI.

In grade seven I got rather sick. The doctors said "people your age aren't usually sick like this" and they said I had an ulcer. This was around the same time my panic attacks really began so perhaps it was from that.

About once a year I get tonsillitis. I can't remember the last time I had it, though.

My oldest brother had hand, foot and mouth disease (or whatever it's called) and maybe chicken pox or measles. Can't remember. My other brother had allergies and tonsillitis a lot of the time. I think we had chicken pox at the same time.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have that scar for smallpox, which seems strange as I'm sure I had that vaccine. We got all the immunisations through the school system, and I remember having to line up for injections. Then we went to Singapore and got a whole bunch more- stuff like yellow fever and thyphoid.
As for illnesses it seems us kids still got sick a lot considering all the vaccinations!
Chicken pox for sure, bronchitis, ear infections seem pretty standard stuff. I'm sure I had mumps and measles too, I have vague recollections of that.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm 22. I had the Chicken Pox. I got them in first grade, because the kid who sat next to me had them & his mother sent him to school with them. I had them REALLY BAD. They were in my scalp, on my privates, in between my toes and fingers, in my mouth and throat, and in my nose too. At the time, my brother was 2, and I gave them to him. I think my mom was kind of glad that we both got them young and my brother doesn't even remember having them. I had strep throat a few times, and a lot of ear infections. Other than that I was a fairly healthy child. I rarely got sick, so I hardly ever missed school. I never had the mumps or measles, I got the standard vaccinations for them, as they were required for school. I never had lice or anything either, even when we had major outbreaks at school. I guess I was pretty lucky..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I hate to sound like a broken record, but I had ear infections a lot, too. In fact, in eighth grade, both my eardrums ruptured. Man, what pain and what a mess. Doctors always comment on the scarring on my eardrums.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Forgot about tonsillitis. I had that 3 times. They said if I got it once more I would have my tonsils out. I guess my body heard that and decided it didn't want anything taken out, and I never got it again.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also had chicken Pox, though I have almost no memory of it, thank goodness! Never had the measles or mumps (just had to get vaccinated for them for class, my titers showed no immunity to them) I did have scarlett fever, that I do remember and it was nasty, very sick. One of my friends at the time started a rumor about me in school that I would contaminate the whole class when I got back to school, no one would come near me!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Intestinal amebiasis: when I was 6 months old; evidently I was the same color as the white sheet I was on, and severely dehydrated before being taken to the hospital.

Asthma & eczema: starting at age 2 until present.

Night terrors and nightmares: severe enough to be hospitalized for study, couldn't scream to wake up from them because I would also be having an asthma attack, which led to:

Insomnia: from age 3 until about 20 I slept an only hour or two per night (violent childhood abuse was also a factor).

Chicken pox with secondary infection: age 7; I missed the last month of second grade. I had pox on my lips, eyelids, inside of my mouth, bottoms of my feet, scalp, etc. everywhere.

Mumps: age 8, wasn't bad.

German measles: age 12, wasn't bad.

Wish I could say my health got better as an adult.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Intestinal amebiasis: when I was 6 months old; evidently I was the same color as the white sheet I was on, and severely dehydrated before being taken to the hospital.

Asthma & eczema: starting at age 2 until present.

Night terrors and nightmares: severe enough to be hospitalized for study, couldn't scream to wake up from them because I would also be having an asthma attack, which led to:

Insomnia: from age 3 until about 20 I slept an only hour or two per night (violent childhood abuse was also a factor).

Chicken pox with secondary infection: age 7; I missed the last month of second grade. I had pox on my lips, eyelids, inside of my mouth, bottoms of my feet, scalp, etc. everywhere.

Mumps: age 8, wasn't bad.

German measles: age 12, wasn't bad.

Wish I could say my health got better as an adult.
Dang!
You are a survivor!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well lets start my little list:

I died when I was a few days old.....3 times in fact.....I'm a fighter!(I was born 3 months prematurely, at 26 weeks).
I also had a Brain Haemorrhage, and Whooping cough during babyhood.

And now for my childhood....

Chicken pox
Measles
Asthma (which I still have this present day).

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeDeeMay

I died when I was a few days old.....3 times in fact.....I'm a fighter!(I was born 3 months prematurely, at 26 weeks).
I also had a Brain Haemorrhage, and Whooping cough during babyhood.
Yoiks!!!
Glad you made it, you must be a fighter indeed.

kittywarden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the shot for small pox when I first started school. I got the shot at the Dr office walked home and bumped my arm somehow. Wound up had to get that shot again seems I knocked it off.
Had chicken pox at a young age I don't remember how old just remember the pink stuff. I was admitted to the hospital with dehyratation. Baby in room kept me awake by crying alot.

Had to get a reubella shot when I got married cause they said I was not immune to it. Had pnemnonia or brochitis not sure which a little over a year ago.

There is probably more but not sure what cause to much recent info crowds out the old.
So that is mine in a condensed version.