What Did You Call Your Parents?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My mother was always Mom to me. Never Mommy.

My dad was Dad most of the time, or if I really needed him, it was Daddy. I'm 64 years old and my parents have been gone now for a few years. But when I talk about them, it's still Mom and, most often, Daddy. Sometimes I'll write about them here on TCS and I'll write Daddy. And then I'll change it to Dad. But I pretty much worshipped my father.

Mom said she could always tell when I called and something had happened because I'd say, "Mom, where's Daddy?"

What do (or did) you call your parents?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mom and Dad. My step-dad is Papa to my kids but I've always called him by his first name. As a teen my mom was "ma" sometimes. Usually when calling her from another room. :rolleyes: I may have called them Mommy and Daddy when I was little.

My DD used to call DH Dadoo. :hearthrob::lol: She pronounced Grandpa "Campa" and that stuck with my Dad.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mom and Dad. I don't think I ever called them Mommy and Daddy, probably because my older brother was past that stage by the time I was talking. My younger sister also didn't use Mommy and Daddy because we didn't.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom and Dad. I'm sure I said Mommy and Daddy when I was very small but I don't remember it.

My brother had a friend who called his dad by his first name. I always assumed he was his stepdad and was surprised when I learned he wasn't. His mom said the kid started calling him that when he was little (because that's what she called him) and they thought it was funny and never tried to change it.

And I had a friend (and her brother) who called their parents mom and dad, but referred to them by their first names. I thought that was weird. I would say "my mom says. . .", and they'd say "Steve says. . .".

My nephew called his mom Honey because that's what his dad called her. He didn't call her Mom until he went to school (so he was 5-6) and heard other kids saying Mom, despite them correcting him. But because of the way he talked, it came out as haah-nee, that sort of sounded like Mommy, so it wasn't too awkward in front of the other parents.

Last edited:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom and Dad, as an adult. I think I called them Mommy and Daddy as kids. My sister and I jokingly write Mommee and Daddee on gifts because my sister spells her name Mandee.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mommy and Daddy as a young child.
Mom and Dad as I got older.
I did start calling my Mom "Momma", ever since my best friend called my Mom "Momma" when we were inseparable as teens. And it just kinda stuck. I use both terms, and so does my Mom when speaking to me, ex: (and this was seriously a message left on my phone), "Hello, my beautiful daughter....and Hubby...and kitties..oh!..and sweetie, it's yur, Momma calling...", followed by a lengthy 5 minute message that a normal human could have conveyed in 25 seconds.:rolleyes3: :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Mom and Dad as far back as I can remember even up until the day they passed away. :sniffle:

"Hey you". No wonder they never told me that they loved me.
I'm so terribly sorry. :hugs: Being a parent myself this breaks my heart. :hearthrob:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom. I don't remember what I called my father back then, because he was around and in my life, but didn't raise me. I might have called him daddy when I was young. I call him by his first name now.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom always.I don't ever remember calling her Mommy.I used to go back and forth with my Dad,and so there were times when I called him Daddy.Now he's been gone almost 20 years,Daddy always comes to mind.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called my mother 'Ma', but never called my father anything. I do know that if I had ever used their first names to address them, I probably wouldn't be here to write this.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mommy and Daddy when I was little, Mom and Dad after that. Except when I was a snarky, eye-rolling teenager, and then I called my mom “Muu thurr” with the accent on the first syllable. I don’t know how she refrained from giving me a good smack. I will always miss them. Dad died in 2008 at 90, and Mom died last year, two months before she turned 96. Cat lovers, of course. :redheartpump:

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom and Dad as far back as I can remember even up until the day they passed away. :sniffle:

I'm so terribly sorry. :hugs: Being a parent myself this breaks my heart. :hearthrob:
I was just kidding. I believe I did call them mommy and daddy when I was young but they still never told me they loved me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a "joke" saying that the zingiest comeback a Millennial can make toward a Boomer who's complaining about Millennials is "at least I'm emotionally able to tell my kids I love them". Ouch :(.

I think my dad is "hey you". He was gone so much when I was little and now he just sort of. . .exists. He's useful for building things though.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a "joke" saying that the zingiest comeback a Millennial can make toward a Boomer who's complaining about Millennials is "at least I'm emotionally able to tell my kids I love them". Ouch :(.

I think my dad is "hey you". He was gone so much when I was little and now he just sort of. . .exists. He's useful for building things though.
That's funny. Both of my parents have passed away. I knew they loved me I just never heard them say it. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Last edited: