what could this be

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I posted a few days ago about the Persian we found, after owner searching...we decided to keep him. I did take him to the vet and all was good. I've been noticing a foul smell from his mouth and some wetness on his fur around his mouth, the saliva is a brownish color. I thought it was his teeth but after looking at them there not yellow or brown. Unless, he has an abcess i cannot see. Any ideas??

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could have an abcess you cannot see. My daughters dog was drooling and had a bit of blood in it. Sure enough there was an abcess way at the back of her mouth. Sweet little guy. Happy you decided to take him in.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing I would suspect is some sort of dental problem. I can't think of anything else that would cause that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i took him to the vet again...and again they did not see anything...he does have a small cut on his tongue and a corner of his nose is missing...probably from a recent fight. They drew a blood panel to be safe .. and gave him some antibiotics and nutri-Cal along with some sub-Q fluids They gave him pepcid and a shot of antibiotics..so I guess we wait for the reports and give him the meds. Hope it all turns out well...he is a sweet cat!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well the doc said all his bloodwork is perfect..he is healthy..!!She thinks that the excessive saliva and foul smell is lack of hygeine, eating garbage outside, and the cut onhis tongue. He loves the new catfood Perscription diet I/D for now then we will figure out the right food for him. He certainly does not like what i feed the other cats! lol Mr. Finicky..thats ok..he's worth it!