What could my kitten be? We know the mother but there are two different possibilities for dad

Garfield1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! This is Wilfred. :) Picked him up at 8 weeks. He's currently 13.5 weeks old. (Will be 14 weeks on Tuesday ). Wilf has gotten fluffier and fluffier and has fairly pronounced ear furnishings/tips and fur on the underside of his pads. He is extremely vocal - a large amount of trilling. At people, other cats, toys, just because? He has a fairly neutral response to water and likes to stick his paw in his water dish. He is the only long? haired kitten from his litter and we know the father to either be a ragdoll mix or a purebred maincoone. I know he's a dlh and I don't care really. We love him, he's a brilliant little cat it's just interesting to know who you think dad might be. :)
received_937403583409934.jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-2010667007.jpeg
received_325907665187110.jpeg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What colors are the two possible dads? That might help to rule out one of the dads, or make one more likely than the other. Do you have pictures of the possible dads?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Garfield1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately not. :( Sorry.

Garfield1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can do but not at half 2 in the morning. 😂

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, let us know what you find out! :)

Looking at mom and the kittens:
  • Mom appears to be a dilute tortoiseshell (blue-cream) domestic shorthair. She carries the recessive longhair gene.
  • The kittens appear to be black, black and white, blue and white, red and white, and calico (or was the calico in your first post not part of this litter?)
Here is what we can guess about the dad:
  • Dad has white markings, because mom doesn't have white markings.
  • Dad is not dilute (blue / gray), because mom is dilute and she had both black and blue kittens.
  • Dad is probably not a tabby, because none of the kittens are tabbies (except the red kitten, which doesn't count).
  • Therefore dad is probably either black and white, or seal point and white.
I'm guessing that the potential dad cat identified as Ragdoll mix is seal point and white in color (a typical color for Ragdolls), which would fit with the colors of these kittens.

Garfield1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That's uncanny. You're like Sherlock Holmes but for felines. O: The calico is not from the same litter. She's an underaged baby we rescued more recently.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, in any case the logic is the same whether or not the calico is part of the litter :)

I'm assuming the red and white kitten is a male, also.

Garfield1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No actually. Pretty sure Wilf and the other blue and white were the only males. O: Because I remember we were going to take both at one point when the other owner fell through.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the red kitten and the two black kittens are females, we would expect that the litter would have had two fathers: a red and white (or red point and white) dad, and a black and white (or seal point and white) dad. Are you sure about the sex of the red and white kitten? You might ask about that, too.

Garfield1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Almost certain but I'll clarify with the breeder tomorrow. Oh wow. The breeder does have her cats as indoor/outdoor cats so I suppose it's possible. That's really interesting.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh. If the females go out unsupervised, any and all male cats in the area could be the daddies; each kitten could, theoretically, have a different father. That seems awfully risky and not at all orthodox. I hope the breeder isn't trying to sell them as purebreds or purebred mixes.

But since 4 of the 5 have a lot of white, if there's a local male with a lot of white he's the best candidate. Or maleS with a lot of white, because if the red one and at least one dark one are both females, they'd have to have different fathers, unless the dark female has red marking that's not visible in the picture.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I can not get over his ears and those tuffs, his looks are stunning.

Garfield1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She didn't try to pass them off as anything. As she didn't know for sure who the dad was, they were just kittens. No special anything. Can't really fault her tbh, all flea and worming done, weaned onto pretty decent quality food, kitten pack. Quite impressed for a hobbyist breeder or accidental litter.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good. The way you said "breeder" and 2 different purebred options for the dad made me think she was deliberately breeding.

In the one pic on the bed, his face/head does look pretty Maine Coon-ish. If the neighbor cat really is a purebred MC (most people don't let purebreds run around loose so he may he a lookalike), that's a possibility.

A cat version of Mamma Mia! would be very convoluted ;). Also Cat Maury would have a lot of results to sort out, lol.

Garfield1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
😂 It's a neighbour who breeds MCs so I'm thinking if that's the dad maybe she got in to his house rather than the other way around.

Garfield1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting development! The cat
the breeder expects to be dad is.. ginger with beige and grey bits near his feet? :') And yes, Wilf and the other blue and white were the only males.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what color is meant by "ginger with beige and grey bits near his feet." Which one of the male cats is this one? The "Ragdoll mix" or Maine Coon?

Are they certain about the genders of the kittens? If they let the kittens go to new homes at 8 weeks and had never taken the kittens to the vet, they might not really know.