What (commercial/prescription) foods have worked/have you tried for your IBD cats?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that's great he ate all his food with the rabbit in it! :clap:

Since he gets tired of eating the same thing, you can use a different canned food as a base, but still mix the 1/8th rabbit in there. If you have other strong flavor foods, those are probably a good choice for the base. :nod: A good rate is to keep the new food at the same amount for 3-4 meals before increasing it again.

Especially with IBD kitties, it's important to make changes slowly, just to ensure the change isn't disagreeing with them.

Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks LDG. I remember reading about carrageenan. I was trying to avoid it, also. As stated in my original post, it's so difficult trying to find commercial foods that meet all the criteria.

I have yet to try the By Nature Organics line...will give it a shot. Sebastian used to LOVE the old By Nature formulas (not organics), but they changed the formula and the texture is much clumpier. He hated it. I emailed the company and complained, of course.

Speaking of Wild Calling, I have some information that is on topic, but also a little off topic. I really want Sebastian to eat rabbit to see if it helps with his digestive issues (on topic), but I'm confused about how to transition him (off topic). When I originally put down the Wild Calling rabbit canned, I put it down in its 100% form with a little water added (Sebastian likes his food soupy). He walked away from it numerous times. I bought another can and tried again. Except this time I gave him 1/2 of a 3 oz. can of his current favorite (Wellness Chicken & Herring) with 1/8 can of the Wild Calling rabbit mixed in thoroughly. He ate the ENTIRE thing. Yipee!
So my question is, do I give him the Wellness every day and gradually increase the rabbit? My cats do get tired of the same thing all the time, so I hesitate to use this method.

I'm interested! I'm looking to start with a cooked or partially cooked diet. Sebastian is like one of those kids that is sick all the time. He was tested negative for all the usual (FIV, leukemia, etc.), but I hesitate to start him on raw right now.

Thanks maewkaew. I haven't tried the NV Venison yet. I've tried the EVO Venison, but they weren't crazy about it. I think Boo vomited it (seems red meat doesn't agree with him).
The By Nature Organics has a less clumpy texture than the 95% line. Go for it.

Well, I see you have visited my other thread regarding constipation issues and high-protein food (the food I switched to was Wild Calling by the way), so yes, switch slow!

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure if this was posted yet but there was a thread of the expert forum on cooked homemade food (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/164014/anyone-doing-cooked-homemade-diets). It is a really interesting thread and when I get my TC feline that I ordered a few days ago I am going to try their recipe for cooked cat food. Fingers crossed Frank will eat it. I think I will also try roasting a chicken and blending the meat and juices because I think Frank might like that more. 

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an IBD Sr. Main Coon and two MC Kittens. My old guy likes dry as well but he has taken to the raw. I feed them NV Instinct exclusively (Dry, Canned, Raw). I also rotate flavors of the canned but I avoid chicken and beef. Raw is duck (Patties) and currently feed them the limited ingredient dry Rabbit.Currently they in total get 2 cans wet (0630 and 2200 hrs), 1/2 raw pattie at 4 pm, and are free fed the dry during the day (No dry at night).My IBD cat is also on prednisolone (1.25 cc given at 10 pm) which we're working on reducing to the absolute min.Results with the IBD cat: No vomiting and had one flare-up within 3 months of being diagnosed for IBD (he probably has Gastric Lymphoma). He still won't poo in the litter box but his stools are soft and long (not runny or hard little marbles like the kittens).I also received same results with Royal Canin Hypoallergenic (canned) which is a perscription food, but I've essentially given up on it since I can't feed the kittens seperate from the IBD cat. I tried the NV Limited in Turkey and it gave my IBD cat and one of the kittens bad diarrhea.You never mentioned the age of your cats. My IBD is 14yrs 6 months so that has factored into how we chose to manage the disease.

Last edited: