What Colour Kittens Will My Cat Have?

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
20190823_202955.jpg

My cat (the smaller patched tabby) was caught outside by a stray (grey) male - see pics. What colour kittens do you think she will have?

Its her first time so any tips will be appreciated and taken on board.

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I'm not sure if you can tell in the pictures but my cat is very small and he is huge in comparison. Could this cause any problems?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're not willing/able to raise kittens (it's very expensive!), or willing to take the risk of her needing a c-section or other vet interventions, she can still be spayed. Also, he appears to have had a rough life, so you may want to have her tested for FeLV and FIV in a few months.

If she is pregnant and you decide to let the pregnancy continue, she'll have red or dark tabby males, and torbie or dark tabby females. They may have a little bit of white. If she carries for solid, some may be solid colored like dad. If she carries for for dilute, some may be dilute like dad. But chances are higher they'll be tabby and non-dilute. There's a small chance for pointed (only if both are carriers).

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal for males, especially mature toms like the male in the pictures, to be much larger than females, but pregnancy and birth are always a risk for every female cat. It is not too late to have her spayed if you are not comfortable with that risk.

As far as the color question, as your girl is a brown patched tabby and white, and the male is solid blue, you could definitely see the following kitten colors:
  • Either sex: Brown tabby, brown tabby and white
  • Males: red tabby, red tabby and white
  • Females: torbie, torbie and white
You may also see the following colors depending on what recessives the parents carry:
  • If she carries solid, you could see solid black, black and white, tortie or tortie and white (females)
  • If she carries dilute (blue), you could see blue tabby, blue tabby and white, cream tabby or cream tabby and white (males), dilute torbie or dilute torbie and white (females)
  • If she carries both solid and dilute, you could additionally see solid blue, blue and white, dilute tortie or dilute tortie and white (females)
  • If both parents happen to carry colorpoint, you may also see some pointed kittens. They would appear white at birth, and gradually darken at the points.
  • Finally, if both parents happen to carry long hair, you may see some long haired kittens.

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :)

*Update*
My cat has brown/black dots around her nipples. Is this normal in pregnancy?

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, last night, the same grey cat was lurking around my garden as she was out sunbathing. Any idea why he's here?

He was about to walk away after a while of sitting there and my cat chased/followed him and they sat in my neighbour's garden for a bit before she moved back to ours and he left.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it’s normal. It’s just naturally occurring pigmentation in the skin caused by hormones. :)

Kittiecuddly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know everyone is big on spaying but I want to warn people thinking of spaying a pregnant cat. They know they are pregnant from the beginning. I've made the mistake of spaying them after the fact and ended up with a depressed kitty and it completely and permantly changed their disposition. I would advise anyone thinking of spaying a pregnant kitty. Don't! If you can't handle the expense find someone who can or accept the responsibility and support your girl and find her babies good homes when their old enough. Then you can spay her. Alot of farmers are happy to take pregnant kitties for barn cats, they are the best mousers on Earth. Do your pretty lady a favor and don't take away her babies. Most of them are attached at conception.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alot of farmers are happy to take pregnant kitties for barn cats,
Do you know what happens to most farm kittens? The survival rate is extremely low. If a mama cat would mourn a lost pregnancy, she'd definitely mourn a litter torn to pieces by raccoons even more. Terminating the pregnancy would be kinder than dumping her on a farm, especially if she isn't used to living outdoors.