What color/pattern would you call him?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my new boy Badger. He just showed up one day. All the other farms in the area are over a mile away so I think he's a young tom who got chased off by the other toms and went looking for his own territory. He had a nasty bite wound on his leg when he showed up. Anyway, what color and pattern would you call him? I think pattern is Van or Harlequin, not sure what to call that color though! He has blue eyes so obviously some sort of point gene is in play too.

http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Willowy22/media/Mobile Uploads/2016-11/20161120_145251.jpg.html

http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Willowy22/media/Mobile Uploads/2016-11/20161120_150538.jpg.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is handsome isn't he? I know there's a point gene running through the local farm cats, because one of the TNRed feral farm cats, whose mother is a torbie, looks very much like a Siamese. But this one is friendly, so that's kind of odd. Someone must have socialized him as a kitten. He's not one of the torbie's kittens. I just don't know what to call that color! Is it a dilute? Kind of fawn looking, but not exactly.

And yes, he apparently decided he was going to live here and that's that! It's funny when they do that. He was locked in the spare bathroom until I could get him to the vet, which was last Wednesday, so once he had his shots and tested clean I let him meet the rest of the cats. Hazel isn't totally thrilled but mostly they're all tolerating him. He goes in for his neuter this Wednesday so that should help.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Athena who just passed away a little over a week ago was similar to your boy, except she was medium-haired and her fur was very thick and matted easily. It felt very much like a rabbit's fur would. Her eyes were a sea green colour, but her momma had blue eyes and looked just like Athena other than the eye colour difference. I assumed she had some sort of ragdoll ancestry, so maybe your boy does too! Her family was all feral and not social with humans whatsoever, but Athena was very social and loving right from the start, I was told.
This is what she looked like:

She had patches of grey on her back like your boy and a solid grey/tabby tail like he does. Same Harlequin pattern on the face too.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think this tom here is a lynx point and white - a bicolor. We dont see the masque because its covered by the white.   And as he lived more or less outside, so he darkened up quite early, even if he is not really a seal (black point).

Lynx points (tabby points)  tends to get darker in the body fur than non tabbies, the tabby tends to color also the non pointed areas.

Athena was a beauty, and yeah, she has almost the looks of a point bi-color...   RIP  Athena.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think this tom here is a lynx point and white - a bicolor. We dont see the masque because its covered by the white.   And as he lived more or less outside, so he darkened up quite early, even if he is not really a seal (black point).

Lynx points (tabby points)  tends to get darker in the body fur than non tabbies, the tabby tends to color also the non pointed areas.

Athena was a beauty, and yeah, she has almost the looks of a point bi-color...   RIP  Athena.
Thank you very much, that's what I thought too. She was all white on her legs, chest, and her underbelly. She had the blue on her face, onto the top of her head and ears, back, and her entire tail, tip to base. She was a lovely, beautiful, nurturing cat and she will be missed for a very, very long time. Rest in peace, sweet baby.