What color kittens...?

olliecatsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat, Marcy, is all white with short hair, green eyes and full tail. Her mate is a purebred American Bobtail, but she is a mix. He is mostly white with two or three blue/grey patches. Will the litter be mostly white or can they produce color?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My female cat, Marcy, is all white with short hair, green eyes and full tail. Her mate is a purebred American Bobtail, but she is a mix. He is mostly white with two or three blue/grey patches. Will the litter be mostly white or can they produce color?
It depends in much, on her parents.  I presume one was white, and one colored, as you say she was a mix?

Daddys parents carried both white?

Half should be white, the other half a combo, where many / all has much white fields  (ie the white spot gene from dear daddy)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I was going to explain about the W gene, but one site I found said that cats with the W gene (dominant white) always have blue or orange eyes; cats with green or yellow eyes are white because of the S gene (white spotting) :dk:.

Also, she has a genetic color being masked by the white---do you remember if she had any small color spots as a kitten?

But I'll say a little about the W gene just in case. If she had the dominant white gene, that would mean she either has W/W or W/w (a cat must have the W gene to be visibly white, unless it's the S gene). If she has W/W, this would mean she could only pass on the W gene so all of her kittens would be white. If she has W/w she could pass on either one so about half the kittens wouldn't be white.

The S gene, which is what the father cat has, is the white spotting gene. A cat can be all white with this gene---basically they're all one big white spot :D. So maybe the mother cat has this gene too. Most high-white S gene cats have S/S, so they can only pass on S so all kittens will be white spotted. The exact amount will vary but they'll be mostly white. If the parent cats happen to have S/s (they would probably have less white if so), then some (about 1/4, I think) of the kittens would have a chance to not have white spotting.

But most likely: all the kittens will be mostly white with spots of color. Unless the thing about eye color is wrong, and then either 50% or 100% of the kittens will be solid white. It all depends on which kind of white the mother cat has.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olliecatsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Marcy was adopted as an older kitten so I know nothing of her lineage, but I do know that she had a solid white brother who also has yellowish color eyes. They were the only two in the litter I believe

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you a breeder? Do you own dad too?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

olliecatsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, not a breeder. I don't own the father my friend does