What color is Olive?

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rags does have stripes on the black patches and she definitely has torti-tude!
I also found this online:
"What is the difference between a Calico and a Tortoiseshell? And what in heck is a Torbie?
Goodness, a lot of questions there. :-)
The difference between a calico and a tortoiseshell is this:

With a calico, there is a significant amount of white, and the two colors are broken up into distinct patches. This has to do with the interaction of white spotting.

With a tortoiseshell, the three colors are blended and don't form distinct patches. A tortoiseshell may have significant portions of white as well, but the remaining colors are blended (this particular pattern is called a tortoiseshell and white).

A torbie, or patched tabby, is a tortoiseshell where the tabby pattern is very distinct all over the cat. A calico or tortoiseshell may have distinct tabby pattern on the red or cream patches (has to do with another gene we won't get into at this juncture), but no patterning on the other color. This isn't a torbie. A torbie is clearly patterned all over the cat -- though never on the white."

I found this at
http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache...&gl=us&strip=1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I still think of ones with stripes as torbies. They can have stripes in the orange and still be calicos but if they have stripes in the black then they are torbies. Torties to me have no white. Calico's have white. I consider Sophie's daughter Punky a torbie and white because she has tabby stripes in her black patches. I guess I could be wrong though.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rags is a brown patched tabby calico. But the idea is the same - she's a calico with patches of color

I prefer the term patched tabby rather then "torBie" as its too close to "torTie"
And the color description is more accurate IMO - its a tabby cat (brown, blue, silver) with patches of red.

Torties will be a solid color of black or blue (sometimes chocolate) with the red/cream patching/blending

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

Then there is the torbie with white which is what rags and my sophie are. Which is tabby with patches of red. They aren't quite calico's because they are tabby.
http://www.seregiontica.org/Colors/w.../withwhite.htm
and then there're the ones like my Firefox - tabby all over, w/brindling & patches of red & black. i call her a torbie - looks kinda like watered silk...
one of the ferals is more what i think of as a 'patched tabby' since her patches or color are more distinct, not as blended as Firefox's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sophie is also a brown patched tabby and white / torbie most of her orange patches are on her back and she has black patches on her back as well

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone is so right, the difference between a calico and a tortie is that calicos have distinct patches of color as opposed to the torties whose red and black (or cream and blue) intermingle.

Calicos tend to have more white, whereas the torties limit their white to their extremities and belly/locket. The theory goes that the white spotting gene is what causes the calico effect.

I love this thread! I really adore all these pictures!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sophie is a wonderful example of a brown patched tabby and white

Foxfire is a brown patched tabby, but probably carries the dilute colors as her colors are paler brown. Brown comes in lots of shades - from light brown to a black-brown

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Foxfire is a brown patched tabby, but probably carries the dilute colors as her colors are paler brown. Brown comes in lots of shades - from light brown to a black-brown
she also has a teeny bit of white, just around her mouth & chin - like she's dipped her muzzle in cream
her hair roots are also very light, either cream or white.