What color is my Tobie??

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Can't wait to see what the judges think about him. I know if he was in my HHP class and I was judging him - he'd be in the top 5! Just be sure he's very well groomed - no tangles/knots.

Maybe ask around at the show if anyone knows who is really good with genetics to explain how you got this color (and the rest of the litter). Take pictures of the cats involved for help
I was thinking the same! I would place him highly as well! Well, provided he was well groomed and had a "show off" personality!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dang it.... one of his testicles isn't descended and they won't do the surgery today. They want to see if it will drop in the next month or two instead of doing more invasive surgery now. That means he won't be fixed in time for the next show, but perhaps he will be in time for the January or March show. http://www.acfacats.com/show_schedule.htm
I'm looking at that list, if anyone knows of any other "lists," let me know.

I might still go to the Crown Point show to check it out, tiffany.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope you do go anyway. How old is he? I think the rule is that any cat under 8 months is a kitten and doesn't have to be neutered. Not sure though, let me check...

Yup, they don't have to be altered until 8 months:
Rule 4. Pure Breed/Mixed Breed Under 8 Months of Age. A Household Pet which is not less than four [4] months, but less than eight [8] months, may be Recorded in accordance with Rule 1, 2 or 3 above with the exception of proof or certification of altering. However, when the cat reaches eight [8] months of age, its Recorded Number will be suspended until such time proof or certification of altering is received. Until such proof or certification is received the cat will be ineligible to claim any Titles or receive any Year-End Awards.
http://www.acfacats.com/

Click on the link and go to the side bar for 'show rules'. Its a 35 page word doc. ;^D

Tiffany

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes if he is under 8 months old on the day of the show, you can show him without being neutered. If anyone questions you on it, tell them what the vet says.

If he's over 8 months then you'll have to wait.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goldenkitty, I found this pic of an ocicat online that reminds me much of Ziggy. However, all the chocolate silvers I find seem to be much lighter than Ziggy. Poor Zig, his moggie background diluted the genes quite a bit... I think if he were golden or silver he would be more obvious, don't you? Maybe the genes are more complex and interactive than they think.

http://www.ocicatclubuk.org/supreme-002.jpg

I am getting really excited about showing Tobie. If I can get the grooming down right, and assuming he doesn't freak out with strange cats, I think he'll do well. I see all those pretty ribbons... you are right, I will love them.

And sorry to disappoint, but apart from Tobie and his two brothers, the three girls have all been spayed already... but I know you were kidding. Just to reassure you.

What do you think the judges will say about Tobie? They will probably suspect my accidental breeding to get such an unusual color. I don't want to have to explain that all the time, not even the short version, I feel guilty enough already. Tobie is very whiny, is that considered bad? He doesn't squirm, but he does his mother's slightly unattractive and disconcerted "meh" every time I pick him up. Oh, and I've started to notice that he drools a bit, but I think that has to do with the fact he's getting his adult teeth in now. And is there such thing as being too "floppy?" I assume this is a good thing, but he is really *really* laid back. He's like putty in my hands, and this gets more pronounced as he is getting older.

Sorry for the slightly discordant post there... I'm avoiding studying and I'm excited!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd almost question the color on that chocolate silver. Most are much more silvery looking. He's pretty dark, but he may have a darker chocolate or tawny in the immediate background (parents/grandparents) and only one chocolate silver. I'd be interested in his pedigree on colors

I would not worry too much about his actions - you worry far too much

Some judges may ask about him, some won't. You can just give a brief comment that you are STILL trying to figure out where the unusual colors are coming from in the mix - which is the truth