What color is my cat?

teagranny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

This is my new cat, I call her Missy, for now.  She is supposed to be part Rag Doll.  She is the most laid back, relaxed, gentle young cat I have ever had.  Even when my dh plays a bit rough she doens't put out her claws.  As my son says she will let you place her; what ever position you pick her up in she will stay there.  You can move her paw, leg, stretch her out, cuddle close she just stays relaxed and purrs.

I am really curious about her color and markings. I suppose she is a tabby and will get darker as she gets older.  

Does she also have a 'point' like lynx or lilac?  The picture is a bit darker than she really is and the light spot on her forehead is a strong peach color. The pic looks quite gray but she is more an overall soft cream and light brown.

oh and I would welcome name suggestions. Maybe Rosie?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teagranny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Shmendan,   a white shaded tabby, I hope she stays this light but my guess is she will get darker as she gets older.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

This is my new cat, I call her Missy, for now.  She is supposed to be part Rag Doll.  She is the most laid back, relaxed, gentle young cat I have ever had.  Even when my dh plays a bit rough she doens't put out her claws.  As my son says she will let you place her; what ever position you pick her up in she will stay there.  You can move her paw, leg, stretch her out, cuddle close she just stays relaxed and purrs.

I am really curious about her color and markings. I suppose she is a tabby and will get darker as she gets older.  

Does she also have a 'point' like lynx or lilac?  The picture is a bit darker than she really is and the light spot on her forehead is a strong peach color. The pic looks quite gray but she is more an overall soft cream and light brown.

oh and I would welcome name suggestions. Maybe Rosie?

Yes, she is a point, a lynx point - ie tabby point.    Im no expert on exact colors, (I can always escape the question mentioning my bad monitor  :)  )

I suspect strongly this light peach spot is revealing her as a tortie too...  And thus, it will giwe away her coloration - she is surely a diluted tortie, the peach we will call for créme  (which is really a diluted red), and the darker parts for blue (which are diluted black).

How we will call all this fireworks, Im not sure,

we have point and tabby, and diluted tortie.   Tortie and tabby are usually called for torbie.

perhaps  diluted tortie blue lynx point  (with white - IF you do see white parts)

teagranny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks StefanZ!!

Well thats a long color name for sure :) No, there really aren't white patches....her throat and belly are lighter but not white.

Blue lynx torbie, COOL!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Well thats a long color name for sure :) No, there really aren't white patches....her throat and belly are lighter but not white.

Blue lynx torbie, COOL!
Put in the word point too, as its the single most important description.  Theoretically sholdnt be necessary, as lynx = tabby is going with point, but few persons are that knowleable.  Better to spell it out.   :)

Right, the natural color of a point is a veery diluted brown, light but not white, and that is what she has on the places where there are no tabby signs.

You surely know that point gene comes from beginning from siameses, and is also called for point of the siamese type.   (there are also burmanese points - behaves similiarly but are of another type).

So, if someone calls her for a siamese mix, this is not completely wrong.

You mentioned she is supposed to be a ragdoll mix.  So you know some of her background?

A ragdoll, mated with a shorthair point or point carrier, will get shorthaired kittens, points if the other significant had point the gene too.

There are several variations.  Both longhair and point gene behaves similiarly, both are recessive, and must come from both parents to express themselves on the kitten.

kellyanna

KellysCatShelter.org
Kitten
Purraise
She just looks "gray or grey" on my mobile phone! Pretty Blue eyes, all my furr babies are golden eyes or green eyed, or brown. I have never had a blue eyed cat. I would name her Belle, or Snow, or Snowbelle, but the name depends on what your other cats names are. Alot of my cats name end in I or Y so when I call them over their name has to sound unique. After you use their name alot they learn it, how you say it. If you roll the LLLlllls she will associate that.
My kitties are Minina, BoyBoi, Moopie, Bootes, Bakardi, Penny, Baybee Gurrl, Pepper, Cocoa, Miss Puffy, Mimsy Muffin, Fluffy Monster, Popcorn Tiny Baby, and ...
I have a new rescue, Rose Siracha. I named her Sirracha, but since I am goving her away hopefully for Valentine's day we got her Spay under the name Rose Siracha, Or Rosie. 14 cats is my Max capacity and usually I have 5 to 8, or 11. I have had a total of 5 cats get returned after finding them homes. ;-)

Last edited:

teagranny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You surely know that point gene comes from beginning from siameses, and is also called for point of the siamese type. 

Interesting, I didn't know the point gene originated with the Siamese. so any cat with a 'point' color has Siamese DNA way back?

You mentioned she is supposed to be a ragdoll mix.  So you know some of her background?

Yes, the people I got her from called her a Ragdoll, I had never heard of a shorthaired Ragdoll but I'm no expert ! So! now I have been reading and some say by definition a Ragdoll has long hair, and if the 'longhair' gene is recessive then 2 Ragdolls could only have longhair kittens.  I was reading somewhere that there are 4 known 'longhair' genes, one specific to Ragdolls cool! 

Since my cat is definitely short hair at best she is half.

She really is calm, quiet and flops on the floor and rolls, twisting her head back and forth, please pet me!  So sweet.
Sorry I cant' get the hang of how to use the quote button, I can only get the whole reply not just part of it. :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, as far as I know, THAT recessive point gene comes from siameses. So this mutation happened just once, with the first siamese...   And spread around the world by siameses.   Got quite common among both moggies, and many purebreds, especially as they often used siameses "to better up the blood"

There is another point gene, which behaver roughly similiarly, althoug its a different gene. The Burmanese type.  Burman- look alike arent common - although they were quite popular in the fifties, in England and USA.  There werent many purebreds these day, that is partly why.   But we can sometimes seee a combo of these two different point genes:  a dark point, and a darkish body, often taken as a somewhat atypical siamese mix.  These cats darken up on the body already as kittens.   And they arent as blue-eyed as siamese-mixes.

There are at least two false points:

1.  Kittens born with a dark point and greyish body.  Its the so called fever coat, it disappears with thime without further problems.

2.  Adult longhaired dark cats, whom looks as if they were a longhaired burmanese with a black face. (burmanese proper are always shorthair - but you never know with mixes).  These cats can of course sometimes be a longhaired burmanese pointed mix - BUT  a longhair smoke does often has this looks!  Its even typical for them.

I myself got into this trap at least once...