What color is my cat?

r0n1n

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two British Shorthair cats:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/261575/picking-up-new-cats-today

Ronin, the kitten was originally a seal tabby point cat and is registered as such.  Like most pointed cats he's gotten darker all over as he's gotten older, but not quite as dark as his eartips.

We recently took him to the vet to get microchipped and the vet said he was a lilac or lynx point.  I know he's not lilac - we had a lilac birman.  He also said he was the fattest Siamese cat he'd seen and that he needed to go on a diet.  So we had two disagreements.

I need to know his color for the registry.  What do you think?  He's the larger cat below.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes I would say he is a seal lynx point. Lynx means tabby. What makes you think he is not ?
Vets are taught nothing about cat breeds and colours so that does not surprise me at all :lol3:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

r0n1n

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I would say he is a seal lynx point. Lynx means tabby. What makes you think he is not ?
Vets are taught nothing about cat breeds and colours so that does not surprise me at all
Thanks, GemsGem.  Lynx = tabby?  I've never heard this term before.  Is it a specific type of tabby?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
No it's not a specific type of tabby. It is the word breeders and breed registries use when describing a tabby pattern in colourpoint cats.
Like when an another word is used for different colours in different breeds like for example

Ebony means black in oriental cats
Ruddy(usual) means brown in abyssinians
Seal means dark brown in point colour cats
While chocolate means light brown in colour point cats

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

r0n1n

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks GemsGem and cprcheetah, that clears things up for me. 

Last edited:

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, whatever they are...that little one looking at the camera has the sweetest face ever!!!  I nearly kissed the computer....LOL !!