What Color/Breed is this baby?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I don't think so, those that know about snowshoes know its a siamese and a bicolor that produces them. You would not want to use an all white cat - totally different genes involved. You need the white spotting gene from the bicolors.

Or maybe CFA feels its too close to birmans with the same concept (pointed/bicolor) even tho the cats are totally different in type.
I bet your correct .. that was what a snowshoe breeder told me about 15 yrs ago about the start ( she was one of the first snow breeders )

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Or maybe CFA feels its too close to birmans with the same concept (pointed/bicolor) even tho the cats are totally different in type.
I don't know. When you consider that birmans look much more like ragdolls, ragamuffins and even himalayans more so than the shorthaired snowshoes, that just doesn't make sense. I think snowshoes look kind of like shorthaired ragdolls. (like the guy on the bottom of this page: http://cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/ragdoll.html)

I'll be interested to know as well.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the bicolor gene is very hard to control. That is why you don't see many snowshoes in the shows to begin with cause they are so "precise" in where the markings should be and many kittens do not come out right.

Kinda same with the birmans - they have a tough time getting the correct markings on typey cats - not that the cats are bad type wise - that's no problem. The problem is to get the markings correct.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't think so, those that know about snowshoes know its a siamese and a bicolor that produces them. You would not want to use an all white cat - totally different genes involved. You need the white spotting gene from the bicolors.

The gene that makes a white cat is different then the gene in Bi-colored/mitted cats (the white Spotting gene, it is in bi-colors and mitteds too)
I know nothing about snowshoes, but the ragdoll breeder I got my ragdoll from had a snow shoe, it wasn't a bi-color pattern. it was the mitted pattern. He also had white under his nose (name was got milk, he looked like he had a milk mustache)I know they use siamese, but what else? I know GK said a bi-color, but a bi-colored what? bi-colors aren't a particular breed.
I don't think they look alot like birmans, they only have the mitted pattern (but have a colored not white chin) birmans are not supposed to be bi-colors are they? I don't think they look a lot like birmans(except the mitted pattern)
Like tiff said, they do look (color wise only) like a short haired ragdoll, they atleast have the same patterns except they are short haired. bi-color/mitted/colorpoints.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It never ceases to amaze me how different 'type' is on the various breeds! From persians and exotics to modern siamese and orientals and everything inbetween... Cats are amazing!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry - I forgot bi-colors come in all breeds. The snowshoe was created from the siamese and the bicolor American SH

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry - I forgot bi-colors come in all breeds. The snowshoe was created from the siamese and the bicolor American SH
Ahh, Amareican shorhair! You told me that the last time there was a thread with snow shoes in it. I forgot that's what they were

I am not sure of how many breeds do have bi-colors, but there are a lot, I think, I forget that ASH does too.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only breeds that don't are the ones that are strictly pointed (siamese, himi, etc.) There are a few other breeds that accept pointed in their range of colors, but they are not based on just a pointed pattern - like the siamese.

Rexes came in every color under the sun, but it was not until recently that CFA even accepted the pointed rexes even tho they were in the gene pool from the beginning

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The only breeds that don't are the ones that are strictly pointed (siamese, himi, etc.) There are a few other breeds that accept pointed in their range of colors, but they are not based on just a pointed pattern - like the siamese.

Rexes came in every color under the sun, but it was not until recently that CFA even accepted the pointed rexes even tho they were in the gene pool from the beginning
The pointed rex is my favorite color! (gee I wonder why)