What cat food is good for struvite crystals?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fishtreatsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've heard about the fish being bad for struvite crystals but that is the ONLY canned food my cat will eat!! I've tried beef, liver, chicken, rabbit, turkey..etc. from the worst to the best and most expensive, he'll smell it and walk away. He'll only eat Fancy Feast Tuna, Salmon and Salmon/Shrimp and it has to grilled. He got this habit because he was an abandoned kitten in our condo garage and the people kept feeding him cans of tuna till I rescured him. The only exception is I'm getting him to like cooked chicken at times, but it has to be home cooked not canned. I cannot cook chicken breast exclusely for him every day, we'll go broke.

What about putting some kind of urinary acidifyer in his Fancy Feast tuna? Does anyone use those and what brand names ?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
dl methothine
or
l methothine

spelling may be a touch off ... is a common supplement

some recommend no sugar cranberry juice or cranberry powder ....the later is safer IMHO ...

have you read some premium foods .. many will say beef formula yet the thrid ingrediant is cod or salmon

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dusty is in the same situation-he had a PU surgery in December after having been blocked 4 times last year. In January I knew something was wrong and took him in-sure enough he had more struvite stones. We did a cystotomy to remove them and he had been doing fine. I placed him on the Methionine once daily and everything was going swell. In the last month or so I noticed that he was just not himself, so I took him back and not only has he developed 2-3 BIG stones again, we also found out he has a BAD heart condition preventing him from ever having anesthesia again. I now have him on the Dissolution diet from Purina-it is really the only choice we have-it is made so that the PH alters the urine and disolves the stones. It has been almost 2 weeks and in another week or so I will take him back and see if it is working. If you can keep your cat on something like Hills C/D or Royal Canin Modified you may be ok, but I would look into the Methionine if he is a picky eater-it changes the PH of the urine for you and no added food trauma. Good luck to your poor little kitty-hang in there little guy!

susanita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow ... I hope the member who is feeding her cat distilled water will reconsider this harmful practice.  Distilled water is an active absorber and when it comes into contact with air, it absorbs carbon dioxide,  making it acidic.  The more distilled water a person drinks, the higher the body acidity becomes.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Distilled water, being essentially mineral-free, is very aggressive, in that it tends to dissolve substances with which it is in contact. Notably, carbon dioxide from the air is rapidly absorbed, making the water acidic and even more aggressive. Many metals are dissolved by distilled water."

Distilled water is used in manufacturing for aggressively cleaning because without minerals it picks up everything in it's path.  So in your body it will do the same.  It's not safe for you and it's certainly not safe for your pet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no real evidence (like peer-reviewed studies) that drinking distilled water is bad for anyone. Sailors on Navy ships drink water that's been distilled from seawater for months at a time. Plus, anything you drink, once it hits your stomach, will mix with your stomach contents (which presumably contain some minerals) and stomach acid (which is far more acid than anything you should be drinking). The tiny trace amounts of minerals in regular water aren't going to make any kind of difference.