What Carols get you *right there*?

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be Home for Christmas is a big tear jerker too, but I LOVE "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland.
Those are the 2 that get me, as well. I'm surprised how many people mentioned "I'll Be Home for Christmas". Not to sound too corny, but "Merry Christmas, Darling" by the Carpenters always gets me, too.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

That would be the one by Franz Biebl. Yes, it is veryvery lovely, and one of my favourite things, not just for Christmas.
YES that's it!! Thank you for reminding me of the composer!! I have seen Chanticleer many many times live at the metropolitan museum of art. (it was a christmas tradition in my family but recently instead of chanticleer we have been seeing the Tran-siberian Orchestra also cool) and they are simply amazing.

My choir director (also a Chanticleer fan) gave us a copy of that Biebl's Ave Maria for Christmas one year and so I got hte chance to learn it!
it turned out good but just not the same....oh well my church choir is not made of men with perfect pitch!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For me it's "Do you hear what I hear?" and "O Holy Night." Both of those really capture the spirit of the Christmas season for me.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by vampcow

YES that's it!! Thank you for reminding me of the composer!! I have seen Chanticleer many many times live at the metropolitan museum of art. (it was a christmas tradition in my family but recently instead of chanticleer we have been seeing the Tran-siberian Orchestra also cool) and they are simply amazing.

My choir director (also a Chanticleer fan) gave us a copy of that Biebl's Ave Maria for Christmas one year and so I got hte chance to learn it!
it turned out good but just not the same....oh well my church choir is not made of men with perfect pitch!
I have heard them live once. As you know, AMAZING. I think we have all their CDs. As for Biebl, it's a favourite in our choir's repertoire, and on this year's Nine Lessons and Carols this Sunday evening.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My parents are both gone and my 4 siblings and I live in 5 different states. There is no obvious "home" for my family any longer. With that said, I'll Be Home for Christmas gets me every time.

Second runner up is Silent Night. This was my dad's favorite song and probably the only song that he would open up and sing loudly while in church. I always hear his voice singing it when I hear it played.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have yourself a merry little Christmas and Little Drummer Boy for me! Just from family memories.
To be honest I don't listen to the radio and don't go to stores that often and I haven't heard a Christmas carol yet.