What car do you drive, and do you love it or hate it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

we were out looking at cars on sunday. my dream car is the honda civic si.
i've had my eye on one since i graduated college in 2000. the local honda dealer had a couple 2007's and i'm in love.
we're thinking we might just pay off the pontiac and buy a new civic in the fall. not set in stone, but both DH and i are leaning towards it.
i'd certainly rather be making payments on a car that *doesn't* need major repairs.
Oh man, I would do ANYTHING to be able to afford a new civic

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I have NO car and I love it. Great gas mileage!!

Seriously though... my ex-bf had a subaru impreza (2002 I think?) and it worked great. But as far as gas mileage goes, you can get better for the price, I think.

My older brother has a Honda Civic Hybrid and seems very happy with it. They're expensive to buy, but cheap to drive. I'm guessing that's probably out of your budget though.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I have two cars... I will start with the one that is driveable....

Car #1 - 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally
(Likes) - Decent Stereo, Leather Seats, 4 Door (never had so much room), and Roomy
(Dislikes) - Slow (only 120 hp), Automatic, No Sunroof, Crappy Breaks, Directional Tires, Front Wheel Drive Only, Not a huge fan of the body style, etc.

Not a huge fan of the Lancers since they are a mitsu product... Mainly the same engine that is in my car is the same engine used in neons... It's comprable to chrysler products

Car # 2 - 1999 Honda Prelude DOHC 2.2L V-tec

(Likes) - Body style, sun roof, stereo, tiptronic autostick, 195hp stock, can be drivin like a stick with no clutch or can be drivin in basic automatic mode, FAST for a 4 cylinder, VTEC, DOHC, etc

(Dislikes) - It is discontinued and a doomed situation, autostick, the tranny... This car was thrown together to produce nice power in a four cylinder eco car without a transmission to support the factory modifications... I have had my engine rebuilt once and now this car is parked (has been for 2 years) because it needs ANOTHER new motor and transmission!

The first time I needed my engine rebuilt was my own fault! I had an intake, exhaust, and a vtec controller! Normally the vtec on my car kicks in at 5200 rpms... Well I set the vtec controller to make the vtec kick in at 4600 rpms... It was fun while it lasted but my engine wasn't prepped for that type of upgrade, it ended up running lean and had to be fixed! I sold the vtec controller but kept the exhaust and intake!

I plan to convert this car to a stick shift if I decided to replace the motor! It is a great motor and many import enthusiasts love to swap out their engines for mine (H22a)... Unfortunatley it has it's flaws! I love this car I just hate the trouble it has givin me!

Some nice cars to consider.... The new Toyota Camry (toyota is the lower end lexus... same company), Honda Civics (nice eco car but expensive for it's basics), Subaru WRX (vroom vroom... turbo charged), VW Jettas, GTI's (also turbo charged), etc! I could go on forever... I love imports... Domestics for racing and imports for daily driving! I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a car!

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have 2 cars:

BF has a Lexus (basically an overpriced Toyota) and we can't complain there, love the luxury and it runs great BUT he sold 2 souped up Hondas to purchase this one and misses them very dearly... BF is very into cars and Hondas are his favorite

I on the otherhand drive a 99 Honda Civic Ex and can't complain. The person I purchased it from must have ran the thing into the ground but we got a great deal on it. It has excellent gas mileage (which is great as gas prices are going to skyrocket this summer). Even when it does have mechanical problems I never have to worry about breaking down because Hondas are built tough!! I have put about 20,000 miles on it since I bought it less than 2 years ago and haven't had any real problems since. Hondas never seem to have any real issues, just an occasional non-machanic silly problem that you would never think to happen.

Before BF talked me into buying a Honda I had a Pontiac and that thing was a POS!!! I can't even explain how many times it had me stranded on the side of the road

Hondas are really great cars! Good luck and let us know what you decide!!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I have a 2000 Chrysler Sebring Limited Convertible, it only has 41,ooo miles on it and I love it...no problems at all.
holy shnikeys! I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring with 83,000 miles on it!! I so wish i didn't drive as much as I do
I like my Sebring, but it really isn't "me" I had a 200 Plymouth Neon before this and I LOVED that car... and then I killed it

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, currently.. my mom has a camry. It's an older model, not sure what year, but pre-2000... she's had very few problems with it. She's had it three or four years now. It replaced a Corolla that she really liked and had no problems with up until the time that she was rear-ended and the poor little car was smooshed between the car in front and the car in back.

We currently have a 2005 Scion XA. We got it in July of 2004... with quite a few options on it (and they're options stay the same price regardless of whether you get them right away or not)... we've had to put on brakes (front) and tires (which admittedly were expensive, but probably not as bad now that it's been out a while). We get 31-39 miles per gallon. 10 gallon tank. It's fairly small, good power, has a decent amount of space in the back hatch even though it doesn't look like it.. the back seats fold down (there was enough space to fit the Great Dane in the back. I've hauled everything from book shelves, a treadmill, a corner "shelf", and a baker's rack in that little car.. The blue book value does not drop as quickly (apparently) as other cars. We've only lost a nominal amount of money on it since we bought it. My only complaints with it: Tires were expensive, but they last pretty long.... special type of tire for it though. We've only had to put on one set since we got the car, and that car has made many trips to Pittsburgh, several trips to NYC, hauled a lot of things..it goes to work and back every single day, it's been to Richmond several times and Newport News many times (so *lots* of 4-5 hour trips)..
Number 2.) The dashboard collects dust.. of course, if I was adamant about cleaning it once a week, this wouldn't be an issue...
3.) It's a little cramped if you're trying to fit three or four people in it for a long road trip.. at least with my family but we're all larger and fairly tall, so it's a little more awkward for knee room in the back. Otherwise it's fairly comfortable.
4.) you have to crack at least two windows at a high speed, it does this funny pressure thing if you only open one (but apparently this is not as uncommon as I thought due to aerodynamics on new cars, when I asked the dealer)..

Overall great car, we'll definitely buy Toyota/Scion again, and if you're looking for a "sportier" car, their TC is a nice looking car. Oh, and it sits up a little higher even though it's not a particularly tall vehicle.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I drive a 2004 Honda CRV, it's a good little car, lots of storage space and great cup holders. I haven't had a problem with it yet, it has 70,000 miles on it already. It isn't as plush as my old Chevy Lumina was, but the only thing I don't like is the road noise.

My son has my old Lumina, and that thing has more than 200,000 miles on it now. Everytime I see that car, I wish I could have it back
!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just looked at a 2001 Toyota Corolla, and it drove very nice. I offered $800 less than the asking price, and they accepted. Now, I have to get my mechanic to look at it

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with it Natalie- I'm really wanting a Toyota Prius right now... so I'm looking for a used one at our dealerships, but no luck for me! I want something w/ amazing gas mileage too! I hope you get a good review from your mechanic w/ this car!!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Well I just looked at a 2001 Toyota Corolla, and it drove very nice. I offered $800 less than the asking price, and they accepted. Now, I have to get my mechanic to look at it
Good Luck with the car Nat...I hope it's the one

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Mercury Sable. I like it- it's a good car!!! I haven't really had any problems with it at all...and it gets pretty good gas milage as well! I really like my little car. I got it as a "used" car but here's how i got it - every year they have a FedEx St. Jude golf classic here- the golfers/other people get these brand new cars to drive during the tournaments and then at the end of them they go back to the dealerships. Since they've been "used" even if it's only for a week or so- you can get a REALLY good price on them!!!! That's how i got mine
(after my 88 honda accord was total- man i miss that car!!!!!! hondas are great if you're interested in them!)

Colin has a Ford Ranger it's oh say about 10 years old now maybe (i might be wrong on that i'll double check!) and it's still running great!!!!

My mom has a Hynudai Elantra- DO NOT GET ONE!!!!! They're horrible!! Everything on the interior has fallen apart (buttons comming off- things tearing off -and she keeps her car spotless too! they just are cheaply made/built and don't last). Do yourself a favor and avoid those like the plague...she has had to replace more things on that car than its worth.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We go through cars like people go through coffee filters.

1. Our main vehicle is our 1984 Dodge Caravan with stylish wood paneling which is now falling off. We've had this thing for ages and it still works okay even though the interior is looking bad.

2. My mom's car is a 1989 Chevrolet Beretta. It seems to break down a lot.

3. My brother's truck is a 1986 or 1988 Chevy. I've only been in it twice so I don't know how it works.

4. We also have a Lincoln but I don't know the year.

So pretty much our most reliable car is the Dodge.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I hope my lazy mechanic has time to look at it today

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have the VIN #? I think for $20 you can go to carfax.com (perhap carfax.ca for you) and look up the vehicle's history, make sure that it has regular oil changes, find out whenever its been in the shop and what type of repair, etc.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

We go through cars like people go through coffee filters.

1. Our main vehicle is our 1984 Dodge Caravan with stylish wood paneling which is now falling off. We've had this thing for ages and it still works okay even though the interior is looking bad.

So pretty much our most reliable car is the Dodge.
My sis once bought a 1974 Plymouth Duster from a friend to help him out. It was niece and nephew's car for their high school years. The only thing that killed it was nephew driving it (on purpose we are sure) into a ditch. One frigid morning it was the only vehicle they had that would start.

Goldfender is a 1990 full size van so that won't help you. (Maybe Abymummy though. Think of all the cat carriers that would fit in there!) Brother in law has a 2000 Excursion. Great for hauling their camper. Sis has a Saturn that's about 10 years old and she loves it. Great mileage even though it was knicknamed the "sardine can" by her grandkids (and me).

Good luck with your car quest!